Baseball takes loss to Kent State

Alex Sorji readies for a pitch in the game against Miami earlier in the season.

Zane Miller and Zane Miller

The Falcons baseball team fell to the Kent State Golden Flashes 3-0 on Tuesday night for the team’s final single game matchup of the season.

“We had golden opportunities and the right people up early in the game,” Falcons Head Coach Danny Schmitz said. “Unfortunately, we just didn’t get the big hit when we needed it.”

The game started with both teams’ pitching staff dominating for the majority of the night, as Falcons pitchers Sophomore Chase Antle, Freshman Nathan Lohmeier and Sophomore Brad Croy kept the Kent State offense off the board through the first seven innings. However, Kent State was able to match their performance as both teams went scoreless throughout the first six innings.

“I thought our pitching was very good early,” Schmitz said. “We had a plan where we wanted to get certain guys in the game today to get them ready for this weekend, and they did a good job.”

However, Kent State was able to break through with the first run of the game in the seventh inning, as Sophomore infielder Josh Hollander hit an RBI double to give Kent State a 1-0 lead. Kent State then added some insurance runs in the eighth, with Junior infielder Dylan Rosa getting an RBI double and junior catcher Tim DalPorto getting an RBI single. The Falcons were unable to rebound, as Kent State took the 3-0 victory.

“For the most part we pitched well enough to win, and we played good enough defense to win,” Schmitz said. “We just didn’t get it done offensively. You’ve got to put the ball in play; that’s the bottom line.”

The team also struck out a season-high 17 times, which the team feels they need to clean up going into their next series.

“When you get opportunities, you’ve got to take advantage of them,” Schmitz said. “Seventeen strikeouts: that’s way too many and that’s not putting any pressure on the defense, so we’ve got to do a better job.”

The team also played Kent State in a one game series earlier in the season at home on April 11, defeating them 9-3.

“I thought our approach was really good the first time around,” Schmitz said. “We jumped on them early and kept adding runs, and they never really got into the game at all. We had the same opportunities to do that tonight, but we just couldn’t come up with the big hit at the right time and that’s what we need to do.”

The team will next play on Friday, Saturday and Sunday afternoons at home against the Miami RedHawks.

“You’ve got to be able to score runs,” Schmitz said. “You’re not going to win any games if you don’t score any runs; it doesn’t matter how well you pitch or how well you play defense, you’ve still got to score runs. We definitely need to take advantage of opportunities and play team baseball.”