Earth Week: A world of events

President Mazey brought Earth week to the University Monday with a small speech, a pair of scissors and some green rope that Falcon mascots Freddie and Frieda held out before her as she snipped it in half.

Here’s the rundown for the week, with information given by the University’s online press release.

All Week (April 17-21)

Electric shuttle bus

Students will have the option to try out a new ride all week—an electric bus—on their shuttle routes, instead of driving their cars or taking the usual buses.

Monday, April 17: What You May Have Missed

Speech highlights, President Mary Ellen Mazey

“Each of us can always do better… Whatever work we do, there’s always more that can be done, and you’re an important part of that. So what we can do this week—it should not only be Earth Week, but Earth Year.”

President Mazey also mentioned how renovations in the University’s old buildings, along with the construction of the campus’ new buildings, are helping the University reach its carbon emissions goals for 2020.

Tuesday, April 18

Engineering Eden: The True Story of a Violent Death, a Trial, and the Fight Over Controlling Nature

206 BTSU, 7-8:30 p.m.

“Engineering Eden” author Jordan Fisher-Smith is set to talk about the dangers of how humans can change and impact too much of Earth’s environment; damaging it.

Wednesday, April 19

BGSU Eco-Fair

Union Oval, 11 a.m.-2 p.m.

Armed with “green” knowledge and eco-friendly alternatives, various organizations are set to inform students about the many things they can do for the environment. There might even be “freebies” given away at some tables, like free trees, Sustainability Manager Nicholas Hennessy said.

Thursday, April 20

Economics of Happiness

206 Union, 7-8:30 p.m.

The documentary highlights today’s tension between businesses and consumers who resist old and outdated business sustainability models.

Friday, April 21

Campus Tree Planting

Between Kohl Hall and Carillon Place, 1-2 p.m.

If students want to see more green trees on campus, they can help plant some new ones at their convenience. The new trees will help reduce carbon emissions and bring more oxygen into the air, Hennessy said.

Friday Night Lights

BTSU, 6:30 p.m.

The Office of Sustainability wants some help powering down the campus Friday and over the weekend. If you want to help them turn off unused lights around campus, feel free to join them Friday night.