Paralympian preaches points of prosperity

US Paralympian Jessica Long visited the Stroh on Wednesday, delivering her unique life testimony composed to spark inspiration and hope into the hearts of all.

Born in Irkutsk, Russia, Jessica was orphaned and adopted at the age of 13 months to a family from Baltimore, Maryland. She was born with fibular hemimelia, depriving her of fibulas, ankles, heels and most of the other bones in her feet. At 18 months old her legs were amputated below the knees, but her disability did nothing to prevent her from becoming a gold medalist.

“Those with the audacity to challenge what is deemed impossible, and believe that they have the ability to make a difference are the ones who exceed the expectations this world has to offer them,” Long said.

From gymnastics to rock-climbing, Long was able to compete in a variety of sports from

a very young age through the use of prosthetics. Once introduced to swimming, however, she and the water became inseparable, and her dream was realized.

“When I’m in the water, I’m completely free,” she said.

After sailing past her high school competition in every stroke, Long first became a Paralympian at just age 12, winning her first gold medal at the Athens Paralympic games in 2004. Since then she collected 13 gold, 6 silver and 4 bronze medals over the past four Olympic Games, naming her one of the world’s best female athletes by Sport’s Illustrated.

When it comes to overcoming her disadvantage, she reminded her crowd, mainly filled with the University’s student-athlete body, attitude determines success in life, and to dwell in adversity is a course to sorrow and loss.

“It was my own insecurities that caused me to be treated differently, but if I view my legs in a positive way, then everyone else will follow suit.”

This mindset embodies host organization We Are One Team’s ethos and mission to promote friendship between stereotyped groups, and ensure the University’s athletic community is committed to a culture of inclusion.

“We Are One Team uses sport as a medium to support diversity, inclusion and acceptance of minority and disadvantaged groups,” WA1T founder Yannick Kluch said.

WA1T is the first of its kind initiative in the US, and was honored this year with the prestigious NCAA and Minority Opportunities Athletic Association’s Award for Diversity and Inclusion.

It’s a career driving and noble initiative for students and athletes to be engaged in. Email Kluch at ykluch@bgsu for more information about how to get involved.