Women’s basketball comes out on top in close game in Detroit

The Falcons women’s basketball team earned a hard-fought 85-81 road victory over the Detroit Mercy Titans on Monday in the Motor City. The team improved to 2-0 with this win and handed Detroit Mercy their second loss of the season which relegated them to a discouraging 0-2 start to their season.

Junior guard Andrea Cecil led the offense by scoring 20 total points and also adding seven rebounds along the way. Fellow junior guard Carly Santoro impressively picked up her second double-double of this early campaign by contributing 11 points and 13 rebounds.

Junior guard Sydney Lambert respectively added had a nice performance with 17 points, seven rebounds, and six assists as well. Sophomore center Jane Uecker also provided some quality scoring to the cause with a 12 point performance.

Detroit Mercy was led by Brianne Cohen with 20 points and 6 rebounds. While Anja Marinkovic also added 18 points for Detroit Mercy. Their performances did not seem to be enough to sneak away with a home victory against the Falcons.

There were many keys to this important road victory for the team. One major note occured when Detroit was able to tie the contest at 63 a piece early on in the last period. But this effort was foiled by a pair of three point scores by Jane Uecker and Caterrion Thompson. This vast momentum shift led the falcons to never look back and propelled them to foil everything the Titans would throw at them for the remainder of this contest.

The team was also able to heavily disrupt Detroit Mercy in ways other than their offensive attack. The team managed to force Detroit Mercy to commit an impressive 14 turnovers which led the charge for victory.

This Falcon squad also flexed their proverbial “fundamental muscles” as they got back to the basics and converted 16-of-21 free throws as Detroit Mercy could only manage 10-of-19. This in the end seemed to prove to be the difference.

The team will travel to Western Pennsylvania next on Thursday (November 16th), to take on the Robert Morris Colonials team that is 0-1 so far in this early season. The tip off is scheduled for an early start at 10:00 AM. This Falcons team looks to continue their early winning ways with another road victory.