Going far: public relations students attend conference in Boston

The executive board of BGSU Public Relations Student Society of America attended PRSSA National Conference in Boston, Massachusetts over fall break.

PRSSA’s national mission is to provide exceptional service to its members by enhancing their education, broadening their professional network and helping launch their careers after graduation.

Each one of us who attended PRSSA National Conference hoped to gain insight into how to improve as public relations practitioners, networkers and executive board members.

I am the treasurer of Bowling Green State University’s chapter of PRSSA, and PRSSA National Conference helped affirm my love for political and nonprofit communication. I met so many aspiring professionals with passions that aligned with mine. We were able to have conversations about our current political climate and how to use our skills to bring about positive change in the world.

President Bree Sabin is incredibly thankful that BGSU PRSSA was able to attend PRSSA National Conference this year as attendance was not an option last year.

“It was an unforgettable experience, and I was able to learn so much more about the diverse field of public relations,” Sabin said. “It was insightful to hear from other chapters and discover new ways to improve our chapter.”

Sabin said individual improvements have not been specified yet, but she hopes to refine the thoughts of the entire executive board and implement as many changes as she can before she graduates in May.

Vice President Melissa Noel is also eager to implement changes with Sabin. PRSSA National Conference inspired her to work hard here at BGSU to reach her goals for the chapter and for herself.

“I got to hear from experienced PR professionals,” Noel said. “I am really excited to implement their advice in our chapter.”

Social Media Coordinator Alyssa Almendinger spent her time listening to presenters and tweeting to make sure those in Ohio were shown the highlights of PRSSA National Conference.

“It was a fruitful experience gaining wisdom from PR practitioners who have been in the field for a long time,” Almendinger said. “I enjoyed being able to network with my fellow peers.”

Falcon Communications Chair Ali Pearson enjoyed learning how to prepare for life after graduation and improve BGSU PRSSA’s firm, Falcon Communications. She learned ways other chapters run their firms and how she can take Falcon Communications to the next level.

“National Conference was such a great opportunity to network with other chapters throughout the nation,” Pearson said.

BGSU PRSSA has affected each one of us differently, and we are grateful for all the opportunities it has given our entire chapter. Membership in BGSU PRSSA comes with access to Falcon Communications, networking trips, guest speakers, professional development workshops and mentorship programing. PRSSA meetings are every Tuesday evening at 7:30 p.m. in BA 112 and new members are always welcome. If you would like more information, please email Bree Sabin at [email protected]