Cracking the code on professional dress

Dressing professionally can be a hard code to crack. Whether it’s for an interview or a day at the office, it can be hard to tell what is too much and what is too little. No one wants to wear something so outrageous that they are reprimanded for their choice, but there is a fine line between dressing appropriately and blending into the woodwork.

Here are a few guidelines to ensure that you know exactly what to wear when a professional situation arises:

“It needs to be the best they have in their closet,” Andrea Gutierrez, assistant director of the Career Center Team, said.

For men, she recommends a full suit and tie if possible, but if a man does not have that he can substitute with khakis, a dress shirt and a sports coat or jacket. She said make sure to wear dress socks and dress shoes with the outfit, not ankle or tube socks. It is important to wear clothes that are clean, well pressed and have no frayed seams. Different environments have different guidelines, but it is typically a good idea to keep facial hair conservative and well groomed. According to Executive Style, cologne and body spray should not be overwhelming and any accessories, such as watches, should be classy and understated.

For women, Gutierrez also recommends a suit, but it can be worn with a skirt or pants.

“If you add a blazer or jacket to a dress or skirt and shirt it really amps up the outfit,” Gutierrez said. Hemlines and necklines should be conservative, and open toed shoes should be avoided. Gutierrez says to wear light makeup, jewelry and perfume and to make sure the accessories fall in line with the outfit. For example, if you are going to bring a purse, make sure it is a clean, simple purse that matches the outfit and is not too distracting.

Non gender-specific guidelines are very similar; a tailored jacket, collared shirt and some dress slacks paired with nice, conservative shoes would be appropriate. For students on a budget, Gutierrez advises checking out thrift stores or stores like TJ Maxx to find great pieces for a cheap price. One last thing Gutierrez recommended was to come to any interview with a briefcase or portfolio with copies of your resume and other documents you may need. She said she is always impressed if a student has a pad of paper and a writing utensil to write notes down during an interview. Employers do look at the impression given off from an interviewee’s clothes, so caring about appearance can be the difference between being employed and unemployed.