Former ‘Idol’ finalist takes Cla-Zel center stage

The world witnessed the 26 seconds that changed Luke James Shaffer’s life, and last night at the Cla-Zel, Bowling Green residents got a taste of the singer’s flare.

The Bowling Green native who briefly experienced fame by making it to Hollywood on “American Idol” took the stage to perform original music for a full venue.

Walking into the room with cameras filming television’s highest-rated show, 24-year-old Shaffer, wearing a black cap, a blue button-up shirt and jeans, stood amidst the nerve-wracking judges.

But because it was his second time trying out for the show, he said he was a little more comfortable.

“[‘Idol’ judge] Kara [Dioguardi] told me I was like watching paint dry; a little boring,” Shaffer said of his first time trying out last season.

Singing Secondhand Serenade’s tune, “Fall For You,” he caused judge Randy Jackson to stare in approval, Dioguardi and Victoria Beckham to smile flirtatiously and Simon Cowell to nod in appreciation.

In the end, with Ryan Seacrest’s narration, a golden ticket to Hollywood was given to him.

“It opened up a lot of doors really fast,” Shaffer said. “It gave me a lot of exposure.”

Shaffer made it to the top 20 males before being sent home, a time he considers, “bittersweet.”

Since then, life has been busy for him. Shaffer has now recorded an E.P. and gets noticed while waiting tables in New York, where he has lived for one year.

He has come a long way, which is evident from the YouTube videos he recorded in order to network before going on “American Idol.” His video channel features acoustic renditions of The Fray’s “You Found Me,” “Iris” by The Goo Goo Dolls and even Lady GaGa’s “Poker Face.” His version of Train’s “Hey Soul Sister” is his top viewed video with just under 9,000 hits.

And even after his short stint on the show, Shaffer hasn’t ruled out trying out next year if the show comes back for another season.

“I’m not sure,” Shaffer said. “I think I might want to do it on my own.”

Last night, he shared the evening with his childhood friend, Marky Dally, also known musically as Balloon Messenger.

“Luke asked me to play tonight, and I was privileged,” Dally said.

University alumni and friends of Shaffer, Natalie Hoover and Jennie Phyllis, sat in the front row to cheer on their friend.

“We knew him since 2006,” Phyllis said. The girls met him through a mutual friend Shaffer used to work with.

“We knew what day he was going to be on [‘American Idol’] before anyone else did,” Hoover said.

And even though he is back to living in New York, he enjoyed his experience and has no regrets.

During his set last night, he sang all the songs featured on his new E.P. “Fresh,” along with “The Man Who Can’t Be Moved,” by The Script, in which Shaffer beat boxed.

“This next song made me famous. Well, semi,” Shaffer said before performing “Fall For You.”

He also had plenty of opinions about the judges and the show. Shaffer said the judges were the exact same as they are on television, saying Simon has become a “little nicer since becoming engaged,” Ellen DeGeneres is “really cool” and Kara is honest and “always knows what she’s talking about.” He also said he was pulling for Siobhan Magnus to win this season.

As for his early departure from the show, he blames it on the politics.

“The last two winners have been guys,” Shaffer said. “I just think [the judges] want a girl to win this season.”