‘Ang Live 4 the Cure 3-on-3 Basketball Tournament’ strives to raise money for cancer

Senior Kevin McGraw has never met his grandmother — she died of breast cancer before he was born. But this weekend, McGraw, with about 35 other University students, will contribute to finding a cure by playing in a basketball tournament to benefit the American Cancer Society.

The ‘Ang Live 4 the Cure 3-on-3 Basketball Tournament’ will be held Sunday at the Student Recreation Center from noon to 9 p.m. Senior Angelo Velotta conceived the idea when he wanted to get students involved with a charitable cause. The event will be hosted by Ang Live, Velotta’s Monday night radio talk show, and the Bowling Green Radio Sports Organization. All proceeds will go to ACS.

McGraw said he’s not just playing for fun; the game takes on a more serious undertone because of his family, namely his grandmother’s, history with cancer.

“That’s been tough through life and everything, and obviously I get to see her one day in heaven … but anything cancer related — it really hits home,” McGraw said.

McGraw said the event will be successful because it gives a fun hobby a deeper meaning for those who have been affected by cancer.

“[When] you connect [the basketball game] with something important like a cancer benefit … I think people are drawn to that and it creates a great atmosphere to not only have fun but to know what you’re there for,” he said.

Velotta is no stranger to hosting charity events. Last year he hosted a 24-hour radio marathon talk show that raised money for the Children’s Miracle Network. He said this year he wanted to get more students involved with the cause.

“Obviously being a broke college student I can only do so much and put so much together but … I wanted to do one more big thing and try to help out a little bit and have fun, to get people together for a good cause,” Velotta said. “Everybody loves to play basketball, so I thought it’d be a fun way [to raise money].”

Velotta said he chose to donate to ACS because he feels it’s a problem many people can relate to.

“Hopefully one day we can find a solution, and me just being a talk show host, I can’t find a solution, but I can help spread the word,” he said.

Velotta said aside from the charitable cause, it’s a good way to have some fun at the SRC.

“A lot of times you go to the rec and you can’t play because the courts are all taken up … now you’re helping out the American Cancer Society, you get to play basketball guaranteed at the rec … you get to have fun [and] a chance to win a couple prizes,” he said.

Team registration was open over the past month to University students, and nine teams make up the bracket, Velotta said. There’s a $30 team registration fee, which will be donated to the charity.

BGRSO Director Pat Dougherty said Velotta is working for a great cause; he plans to attend on Sunday to show his support for ACS and for Velotta’s endeavor.

“Even if it’s just for a few minutes I think it’d be great for students to show up and get involved,” Dougherty said.

Event sponsors Aardvark Screen Printing and The Copy Shop, Inc. have donated prizes for the winning team, including championship T-shirts and a trophy.

Team registration is over, Velotta said, but students are encouraged to come watch, cheer on their friends, and donate to ACS.