Art history symposium hopes to inform students with research

This weekend, undergraduate students from a number of universities will be sharing their research on various aspects of new perspectives in visual culture.

The 4th annual Art History Symposium is Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. in room 204 of the fine arts building.

Lizzy Bolze, Art History Association president and a sophomore at the University, will present her research on northern renaissance painter Peter Bruegel at the symposium.

She said there will be three panels and 10 presenters that will each have twenty minutes to present their research. There will be students from the University of Cincinnati, Miami University, Binghamton University, and the University of Chicago.

“I am looking forward to hearing everyone’s panel and learning from their research,” Bolze said.

Eric Browning, Art History Association treasurer, said the association introduces students to art and spread the awareness of art in the community. They have taken trips to the Toledo Museum of Art, attended lectures, and the symposium is their big event for the spring.

“The symposium is something that separates Bowling Green State University apart from other art history programs at other universities,” Browning said.

Junior Darien Brucoli, art history major, will be attending the Symposium and said it will be an educational event.

“I am excited to watch people and gain insight from their research, especially since I am an art history major,” Brucoli said.

The event encourages students from other schools to come together with University students to discuss what they are interested in. Browning said it makes it a unique and special event.

“Students can write or research on anything related to visual culture,” Bolze said. “It is a wide open topic.”

The event is free and open to the public. Karin Jacobson from the Chicago Institute of Art will be speaking at the beginning of the event at 10:15 a.m.