GI Bill benefits soldiers, University students

Waking up early for physical training and attending military science classes are part of a typical day for Joe Bergman. He does both thanks to the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Bergman has been a student at the University since the spring of 2009 and is attending on the Chapter 33 GI Bill, which is more commonly known as the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

The Chapter 33 GI Bill, which was passed by President George W. Bush at the end of his term, provides various benefits to soldiers, including educational benefits.

Soldiers who qualify can have their education paid for by the military for as much as the highest in-state tuition of that particular state.

“[Your education] has an entirely different meaning when you’ve already been in the trenches and you are advancing yourself at a professional level,” Bergman said. “You know what it takes, you know what has to be done, so you get out there and do it.”

Bergman’s resume of service qualified him for this compensation.

He enlisted in the army after graduating from high school in 2002. As a member of the combat division 21 Bravo, Bergman spent 10 months in Afghanistan in 2004. A year after he returned he was sent back to Iraq.

Finally, he was able to enroll at Owens Community College in Toledo in 2006 before transferring to the University.

As a student, the Chapter 33 GI Bill covers all of Bergman’s tuition, and he uses a ROTC scholarship he qualified for to pay for living expenses and rent.

“It works out nice,” Bergman said. “You can focus on your courses and learning instead of worrying about if you can pay rent this month.”

LTC Steven Letzring, military science instructor in the ROTC program, is taking advantage of the Chapter 22 GI Bill as well, but in a different way.

“One thing about the new GI Bill is that you don’t have to use it for yourself,” Letzring said. “I’ve already gotten all the education I could ever want, so I deferred mine to my children.”

Letzring plans to fund his 2-year-old and 6-year-old children’s educations with the bill. This provides a little extra piece of mind for Letzring and is one less worry for the future.

“Who knows how much education will cost by then,” Letzring said.

Letzring is also quick to point out how the program benefits more than just the soldier earning the benefits.

In addition to the monetary benefits of guaranteed tuition for the University, Letzring said these students benefit other students and the University by being an example.

“These are fairly mature students who have seen what’s behind door number two and are self motivated and have the financial means so their chances of success are much higher,” Letzring said. “So what you have is a student who will be a very positive influence on the student body and benefit the University in that way.”

CJ Morgan, junior and ROTC cadet, agrees with Letzring’s statement.

“I think they understand the opportunity they have when they use their GI Bill to get their education,” Morgan said. “They are definitely more dedicated to getting everything done.”

Letzring said the GI Bill is an opportunity he wishes was utilized more. However, he is happy the University is starting to reach out more to veterans to make them aware of this opportunity.