Back in the zone

“I want my ‘Zone’ back!” is what many residents in the area can now hear when channel surfing their FM radios.

106.5 The Zone, a radio station broadcasting from Toledo with alternative rock music from both today and the 1990s, is back on the radio after a year of being gone. Now, the popular station can be found as 100.9 The Zone after leaving the airwaves last summer.

The decision was made to take the Zone off the airwaves as an opportunity for sports broadcasting after predicting sports news would draw bigger revenue.

The station returned over four weeks ago on April 23 and is back to reclaim its role as the only station in the area to play bands like Breaking Benjamin and 30 Seconds To Mars.

“We all knew collectively that we had a strong audience,” Program Director Dan McClintock said.

The radio station may seem to be making a comeback, but according to McClintock, who also works with 94.5 XKR, Toledo’s classic rock station, the Zone has always been around. Instead of on the traditional FM radio, The Zone could be found on HD Radio Stations and they maintained the same studio.

McClintock said it’s a lot more fun to broadcast on FM radio. It gives him satisfaction to hear the Zone while driving around town.

The biggest difference the return to the airwaves brings involves advertising. Since going off the air and not being able to air promotions, bands like Sick Puppies and Cage the Elephant were unable to sell many tickets when they were in town.

McClintock also noted there were a number of shows that sold out recently in the area including pop acts like Jay Z, Miley Cyrus and Michael Buble. But among them was Muse, a British alternative band made popular with the songs “Supermassive Black Hole” and “Starlight.” Until the Zone came back, there were no radio stations in the Toledo area that played Muse songs. McClintock stressed the idea that bands that sell out should be on the radio.

“I feel like rock and alternative music is getting downplayed for pop and hip hop. It’s great to finally have a station that doesn’t play the same nine songs,” said Zone listener Christina Atkins. “106.5 also did a lot for local talent and that’s something we need; we have a lot of great talent.”

The Zone’s return to the radio has been gradual. Because of the current state of the economy, the station has just been working with banners and signs. The radio station’s return came back with fewer watts, so the signal is not as strong as it used to be, according to McClintock, but there is still time to improve.

McClintock said how impressed he was with the fact that the 100.9 the Zone fan page on Facebook is already up to 1,000 fans, solely based on word-of-mouth.

Fans could not be more excited.

“I am so happy and beyond excited for them to be back,” said Kevin Gedert. “I have been a fan of the radio station since the days that they were Buzz 106.5 and have followed them since.”

“I was so pissed when they went off the air,” said Zone listener Adam Rockacy. “… and when they came back on, well, I peed my pants because I was so excited.”