Newlove, Sorrells awarded for city service

Previous city council members Larry Sorrells and Megan Newlove were honored for their time serving the city during last night’s city council meeting.

Newlove served city council from Jan. 1, 2004 through Dec. 31, 2009, and served as president of the board starting Feb. 2006. Current city council president John Zanfardino honored Newlove with a plaque for her leadership on the council for the past five years.

“Megan Newlove consistently demonstrated leadership and her abilities were manifested through solid approaches during difficult fiscal times,” he said. “Her determination and commitment, as well as her legal background significantly enhanced the betterment of the community.”

After thanking the new council for her award, Newlove took her seat next to a friend who asked her what she plans on doing now that she is no longer on the council. Newlove smiled and whispered back, “I wouldn’t mind sticking around a little while longer; I’m still coming every first and third Monday of the month.”

Former Member At Large Larry Sorrells was given a similar plaque for his time serving the council, starting Jan. 1, 2006, through Dec. 31, 2009. President Zanfardino thanked Sorrells and said he [Sorrells] always kept his constituents in mind when making tough decisions that affected the community during his three years on city council.

“Larry consistently demonstrated thoughtful judgment and decision making, especially those that affected his constituents directly,” said Zanfardino. “His comprehensive analysis of problems was recognized and spent a great deal of time working industriously during difficult fiscal times: A noteworthy and affective advocate for the city of Bowling Green.”

Sorrells took a moment to make a nostalgic acceptance speech for his recognition award.

“It has really been a highlight to run and be elected by my community to serve on this council,” he said. “God bless those that are on council now and to the citizens of the community and everyone here tonight, this has truly been the highlight of my career.

After recognizing the two previous members, council voted on 17 ordinances and two resolutions and adjourned before their executive session closed to the public.