The secret’s in the telling

No one knows what tomorrow may bring, unless of course you have a little help.

What will come for you after graduation? Will you meet your significant other at the end of the bar this weekend? Will the next exam you take be an easy ace or an epic fail? To the naked eye, only time holds the answers to these questions. But to someone with the gift for viewing the outlook of the future, it’s just another easy task.

Just don’t call it fortune telling said Judy Jaye Jaworksi, a psychic in Perrysburg. Fortune telling was “old-fashioned parlor tricks,” whereas Jaworksi’s gift is “very real.”

“It is advice and guidance,” Jaworksi said, who reads tarot cards and works with spirits. “It tells you what is going on in your life at the present and to help you make smart decisions in the future.”

Jaworksi has had this ability all of her life as she approaches her 67th birthday, but has only been professionally channeling the gift for 20 years. For the longest time she was “in the closet,” after having her first experience when she was three years old. She said she felt someone was passing away, and so she told her mother, but because of her Catholic background, she was not allowed to speak of it.

So, Jaworksi says, she waited, but then decided to do it professionally because of the many people she came across needing help.

“When spirits come in … it is only a guidance. You are the one that is responsible for your choices,” Jaworksi said.

She said her ability is not used to find love or to know specific details of life after today.

“I go off my vibrations, so it is important for the person to be open. If you clam up or fold your arms, that means you don’t want me in your space,” she said.

Many find going to hear the words of a psychic to be fit for a fun afternoon. Sandy Hecklinger, Genoa resident, recalls the only time she visited a psychic for fun with a couple girls almost 30 years ago.

“I can’t really remember everything that she said, but I know that most of the things did come true,” Hecklinger said. “She told me I would marry a blonde hair, blue eyed man, and I did. She also told one of my friends that she would move to both sides of the country for her job, and she ended up moving to Boston and then somewhere out west.”

“She also told [my friend] that she was going to get a divorce, which she did.” Hecklinger said.

Jaworksi said there are a lot of misconceptions about what she does. She said what she does is not mind reading, and there are even things that come up with a client that she cannot understand. She said she does not have the answers to everything.

She said she even enjoys the skeptics that come in, assuring that nine out of 10 leave a believer.

“They always look for cameras, strings, some kind of gadget; I have to laugh,” she said. “They will sneak in recorders; I tell them it is best if they put their recorder on the desk. If a spirit doesn’t want it recorded, it will be gobbled, erased or just not work.”

Today, Jaworksi has 1500 different people on her mailing list, although she said she will not accept phone calls everyday.

“I will not let them come too often, or get in a habit. I feel this is a great gift not to be misused,” she said.

“I get as emotional as my clients, but sometimes it is a curse, because I have to give what I get, it is not mine to keep,” Jaworksi said. “It gets hard when you see some illness not able to be fixed.”

“I have been able to see a spirit leaving a body and help family members know that their loved one made it across,” Jaworksi said.

Hecklinger’s experience with the psychic in 1982 had prompted her with an idea for a party hosting a psychic.

“A woman at my work knows a psychic and wanted me to host a party,” Hecklinger said. “I am not positive I am going to do it yet, but if enough people are interested in it, I may just for fun.”

Her daughter, Kristine Hecklinger, a student at the University of Toledo, has even showed some interest in meeting with a psychic.

But, as for Sandy, she said she does not plan on having her fortune read again.