Faculty deliver letter to begin unionization process

The BGSU-Faculty Association announced to University administration their intent to form a labor union. Supporters of the FA stood outside McFall Center yesterday morning adorning posters in support of the FA.

FA President David Jackson, flanked by fellow officers, delivered a letter to President Carol Cartwright’s office yesterday morning stating the faculty group had filed a petition in favor of a union with the State Employment Relations Board. Although Cartwright was unavailable, Jackson said delivering the letter was a significant step in the process.

“But it’s just a step,” he said.

Cartwright sent out an e-mail to faculty and staff yesterday afternoon with the official administration statement regarding unionization.

“We do not support the organizing effort,” she wrote. “We believe it would fundamentally alter the faculty culture of BGSU and do nothing to accomplish the strategic goals that the BGSU community has established for itself. However, we respect the faculty’s right to pursue this action and look forward to the conversation leading up to an election.”

Almost 58 percent of University faculty signed 469 petition cards in support of a vote for a union.

“Some people are opposed to it, some people are for it … but there’s no doubt that an overwhelming majority of faculty want to have an election,” Jackson said.

At a press conference following the trip to the president’s office, Jackson said shared governance is the best way for faculty to stand up for what makes the University an excellent institution.

Bill Albertini, assistant professor in English, said the potential increase in shared governance is an important goal of the unionization.

“I think what it can bring is a more collegial environment where we can all sit down together at the table and work out agreements between faculty and administration … it will help us all pursue the real education mission,” he said.

The FA filed a petition with the SERB Wednesday, and must now wait for a secret ballot on-campus faculty election to be held.

In the meantime, Jackson said, the FA will ask administration to hold off on attempts at obstructing the unionization process.

“Hopefully administration will not delay democracy,” Jackson said. “Nothing good is going to be gained from delaying, denying or preventing the state-run secret ballot election.”

Prevention by the administration is not the only obstacle the FA must hurdle, Jackson said. Due to state budget cuts, the SERB has less resources, making it more difficult to hold elections. Regardless of setbacks, Jackson said at the latest, the group expects an election by next fall.

“I tend to be a pessimistic person, but I am actually quite confident this will happen,” Albertini said.

The issue is beyond just wanting a higher salary, Jackson said.

“We’re doing this because even if there need to be cuts or furloughs or zero percent pay raises, that shared sacrifice means more if you’re able to participate fully and freely by your own choosing, rather than having it forced upon you,” he said.

Jackson said FA wants respect and a real voice.

Jolie Sheffer, assistant professor in English, said a faculty union holds only positive benefits for students.

Sheffer said lack of compensation for faculty members leads to a higher turnover rate, which affects students negatively. She said it’s important the University stays consistent with the mission of helping students. Building and classroom conditions and class sizes are among her concerns.

“We’re the ones who meet with students, we’re the ones who teach, advise, mentor … we know what things are like for students,” she said.

In her four years at the University, Sheffer said she’s lost some incredible, wonderful and bright colleagues.

“It’s been a steady stream of talented folks that go elsewhere,” Sheffer said.

According to a report by the Faculty Welfare Committee, the University ranked 11th out of 12 state institutions since the 1997-98 academic year.

Jackson said the FA does not want to bankrupt the University.

“We understand the economic times have been rough on Ohio families because we are Ohio families … our salaries have been frozen, while our out-of-pocket expenses for health care have risen. While BGSU faculty salaries have languished near the bottom of Ohio universities, we’ve seen the salaries of the central administration go up and up,” he said. “Enough is enough.”