Forstein wins pole vault for second-straight week

Sabrina Forstein is setting the bar for her teammates.

The senior pole vaulter won her second consecutive individual title Saturday at the All-Ohio Championships, where her mark of 3.74 meters now stands as the second-best in school history behind her own record of 3.75 set in the team’s previous meet.

Heading into the Mid-American Conference Championships in two weeks, she is providing an example for her teammates to follow if they want to come away as conference champions.

Also leading the way for BG is freshman Jeanette Pettigrew, who won the 60 meter dash for the third time this season. She also won the 200 meter dash and was part of the 4×400 meter relay team that placed second.

Heather Conger won the 800 meter run for the second consecutive meet, and Brittani McNeal placed second in the long jump in her first meet this season.

On the strength of these individual performances, BG earned a second-place finish Saturday with 124 points in 17 events. From the MAC, Miami placed first and Ohio finished fourth. Full meet results are available on the sports blog.

The team is looking to build from both its progress so far this season and on Saturday’s outcome heading into the MAC Championships.

“We just have to build off what we did today and continue to be confident going forward … and go for it when it comes time to compete,” said coach Cami Wells.

“We understand what we’re up against as far as the competition level and that when it gets to that meet, it gets harder and harder to score along the way. They’re ready to get in there and fight for every last point and continue to build from last year going into this year and the outdoor season after that.”

The Falcons will compete next in two weeks at the MAC Championships in Mount Pleasant, Mich.