Get over it

Brace yourself. Summer flings are coming to an end.

But when relationships do come to an end, there are a number of emotions to deal with, whether it be sadness, anger or loneliness.

“I don’t think there is an ideal way [of dealing with breakups,]” said senior Joe Lepone. “Everyone should do what feels good for them.”

Dealing with such strong feelings can be the hardest part, though.

The minute you don’t have someone to talk to on the phone into the late hours of the night or when you don’t have someone to hold hands with when walking out of a movie theater, these are the moments that will leave anyone feeling less than stellar.

Everyone has different ways of coping with a break-up, of course, and students have explored different ways to deal.

“I feel that for college people, the best way to deal with a breakup is to be around your friends and family,” Lepone said. “Depending on your relationship, it can be painful at the end. By surrounding yourself with family and friends, it helps to take your mind off things.”

“… [A] breakup can make many people upset or angry, so it gives both people time to relax and take a deep breath,” Lepone.

Lepone always tries to keep an optimistic thought when breakups arise.

“Just remember it isn’t the end of the world, even though it might sound like it,” he said. “There are plenty of fish in the sea; you will find your soul mate.”

Many college students find surrounding themselves with people instead of being alone is the most important thing to do when dealing with a break-up. In the case of senior Jake Froelich, hanging out or having a few drinks with friends can make a world of difference.

But for some, simply having people surrounding them isn’t always enough.

“For me, it’s all about productivity,” said senior Kyle Lock, who has recently been dealing with a breakup.

“I usually find myself becoming more productive to keep my mind off things in order to show myself that there are other things during my day to do,” he said.

Senior Sarah Betz agreed, saying when you stay busy you are less likely to be constantly thinking about the breakup and what could’ve possibly gone wrong with it.

Coping with a breakup is different for everyone. For senior Dominic Wells, only one thing works the best for him.

“I have found that the best way to deal with a breakup is to find someone else,” Wells said. “I know that sounds kind of cold, because many students believe they are in love, but really, the easiest way to forget about someone is to replace them with someone else … [and] have some fun meeting people.”

Keeping your head strong is the most important part, Wells said.

“I always go with the mentality that it’s their loss, not mine,” he said. “They were lucky to have me, so if they break up with me, then it’s their loss. That’s the attitude you have to take to keep your spirits up following a breakup.”