Semi Precious Weapons debut with glam rock sound

There is little rock’n’roll attitude left in the music industry today.

In a world of commercial pop music filling up the Top 40s, it’s hard to find a feel for the catchy choruses, lyrics requiring a second listen and the root being all about a glamorous life filled with partying. Rock’n’Roll seems to have died with the likes of leading men like Freddie Mercury, Mick Jagger and David Bowie being less than pertinent these days.

Until now.

Still on the road with one of the highest grossing tours of the summer, Lady Gaga’s Monster Ball, Semi Precious Weapons has released their debut album, “You Love You.” The 10-song, 36 minute debut combines flashy lifestyles with erotic themes.

From the album’s first lyrics, “I can’t pay my rent, but I’m f****** gorgeous,” the listener is hooked on this ode to filthy glamour.

SPW is led by charismatic frontman and songwriter, Justin Tranter, who often wears heals and fishnets on stage, much like a lot of his rock star male frontmen that proceed him. His homosexual themed lyrics rise everywhere when he cheerily sings “It’s not my fault I look better in her party dress.”

The lyrics from the New York band are the band’s strongest trait, which will make you laugh (“sticky with champagne, it’s okay it’s a birthday”), scratch your head (“dance me face to face while I finger your ribcage”), tear up (“the only thing that ever came easy to her was me”) or fist pump at the party theme (“dance around my body. Just ’cause I’m dead don’t kill the party”).

What “You Love You” does is take the listener on a journey filled with guitar riffs, hard drums and effects no one knew a voice could do. SPW lines every track on their album with glitz and glam, but still have a raw rock’n’roll sound hard to find these days. The band seems to be channeling the grungy Hollywood theme of Hole’s 1998 album “Celebrity Skin.”

The album’s rock roots leave many pumped up, but the album’s ballad closer, “Look At Me,” shows the strength of the band’s songwriting and vocals. It shows that beyond all the filth, there’s some beauty within.

And like the eighth track states, “rock’n’roll never looked so beautiful.”