Jolie sizzles, ‘Salt’ fizzles

%26%23160%3B

Angelina Jolie has not lost her touch, and she manages to be the most appealing feature of “Salt,” which is otherwise a dud.

Donning a blond wig, one half of Brangelina returns to the screen with an action-packed spy flick to keep up with the spirit of big blockbusters for the summer. Jolie, playing Evelyn Salt, is caught between conflicting worlds as a CIA agent. In a series of flashbacks, the audience learns more about Salt’s dark secrets and her role in the lives of those around her, including fellow CIA agents, Russian spies and her clueless husband.  

But although she adds some sort of charisma to the film, it still has pitfalls.

The film shows very little thought in its script, lacking humor and witty one-liners. It attracts only those who yearn for a good explosion or high speed chase.

After a slow first 15 minutes, the film takes an exciting turn after Salt is accused of being a Russian spy.

Thus begins the premise of the rest of the film; Jolie climbing out of ten-story high windows, jumping from one semi truck to another and killing any man that steps in her way. The fact that she throws three grenades down a flight of stairs, and then never flinches when the explosion occurs, I’ll just leave alone. That’s just typical Hollywood.

The film creates excitement, but is nothing even close to mind-boggling; even the many plot twists leave a lackluster, unimpressed feeling.

As clearly stated, the role of Salt being filled by Jolie is what saved the movie. Any other actress, the movie would’ve fizzled. And when comparing this one with her other action-packed roles, it’s not nearly as bad as “Tomb Raider,” but still not as good as “Wanted.”

And just the idea that she has given birth to three children is damn near impossible to believe.

The film does leave an audience member with a little taste of what would happen if the country was facing “Day X,” the day that weapons of mass destruction are used. The action surrounds foreign relations and presidents dying. The conflicting emotions of blowing up half the map or an official in power should’ve been more heart-wrenching, but a dull cast leaves that under the radar.

One thing is true though, this movie is clearly being set up for a sequel. Interest on what would happen next with Evelyn Salt, though, is at a minimum.