Fall 2010 entertainment preview

The fall months are not only for back-to-school remedies like hard-core studying and developing a caffeine addiction. They’re also a time when the spirit of entertainment takes over and treats us to new spectacular films, music, television shows, books, video games — whatever your pleasure.

The Pulse will be here as your guide to everything entertainment along the way. When classes start to wear you down, simply pick up a newspaper and allow yourself to be amused by the many different voices we offer.

Below is your official guide to what showbiz has planned for you. It’s also the official start of your school year. There is always room for entertainment.

Movies

“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1” It’s the beginning of the end. Harry Potter fans far and wide will be waiting in anticipation for the final chapter of the journey of a boy wizard and the evil force wanting to bring him down. Lucky for fans, the long book will be adapted into two separate films — better to not rush the series’ final moments. Part one will be released in November, with part two coming eight months later.  

“Resident Evil: Afterlife” Fans of both video games and action-packed movies can be invited to spend the evening at this film. Milla Jovovich returns for the film and it will be released on Sept. 10 and presented in 3D as well.  

“The Social Network” Log off Facebook for two hours and what is there to do? Go see a movie about the formation of the social networking website that took the world by storm five years ago. Even though it is inspired by true events, the CEO of Facebook has called the film “fiction.” The film will star Jesse Eisenberg, Justin Timberlake and Rashida Jones and will be released Oct. 1.  

“Jackass 3D” Our generation’s (arguably) most cringe-worthy franchise will celebrate its next chapter in 3D. In the spirit of taking shots to the groin and performing stunts that no human should try repeating at home, favorites Johnny Knoxville, Bam Margera and Steve-O are back for our entertainment. The film will be released Oct. 15.  

“Saw 3D” Our generation’s (arguably) goriest film franchise will celebrate its next chapter in 3D. Just like the chapters that came before it, the film will follow people in stressed situations in battle for Jigsaw’s legacy. This ‘Saw’ installment will be released two days before Halloween.  

“Burlesque” After releasing her first album in four years to abysmal sales, Christina Aguilera has one more chance to impress this year. Her acting debut will be side-by-side with another award-winning pop star, Cher, and follows a girl’s journey to making it in Hollywood at a burlesque club after leaving her small town home. This sexy and sleek film is slated for Nov. 24.  

“Little Fockers” After meeting both sets of parents, it may be time to meet the kids. Robert De Niro, Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson and Barbara Streisand return for the third installment on Dec. 22.  

“The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader” If Hogwarts doesn’t cast your spell or a burlesque club doesn’t make you feel hot, a trip to Narnia can always be arranged. The journey continues on Dec. 10.  

Television

“Glee” One of the biggest shows of last season is back and has brought Britney along with them. After episodes surrounding the music of Madonna, Lady Gaga and Journey, Glee will start their second season with an episode surrounding the music of another one of the biggest pop stars today and will also include a cameo from Spears herself. The show’s second season, beginning Sept. 21, also promises musical performances of songs such as R.E.M.’s “Losing My Religion” and a rumored tribute to the Beatles.  

“Dancing With The Stars” The new season of often forgotten about celebrities trying their hardest with dances way too hard for them will begin this fall. The contestants will be announced Aug. 30.  

“The Big Bang Theory” A favorite at Comic-Con started out as a little show, but has since blown up. The new season, beginning Sept. 23, which will be moving to Thursday nights, still follows awkward nerds trying to make it in the same world as the social butterflies.

Music

Kanye West Mr. West experience backlash from the public when he stormed the stage at last year’s MTV Video Music Awards and intruded on country singer Taylor Swift’s acceptance speech. Unlike when he verbally attacked former president George W. Bush (claiming the president did not care about black people,) West came off as a bully against the teenage girl. His return this fall will note more than a year he’s been out of the spotlight. His fierce lead single “Power” has already debuted strongly, and the album (slated for November) is rumored to have collaborations with Jay Z, Beyonce and Bon Iver. 

Kings Of Leon After a wild ride to superstardom with songs “Sex On Fire” and “Use Somebody” becoming hits on Top 40 radio stations, the Nashville natives have announced they will release their fifth studio album “Come Around Sundown” on Oct. 19. This album comes after the band won four Grammys for 2008’s “Only By The Night.”  

Nicki Minaj She has already won the BET award for best female rapper before she even released her debut album. The foul-mouthed Lil Wayne protégé is set to release her solo debut “Pink Friday” on Nov. 23, after offering rhymes on tunes like Young Money’s “Bed Rock,” Usher’s “Lil Freak” and Ludacris’ “My Chick Bad.”