Celebrities helping Haiti should do so out of genuine good will

Last week, one of the worst natural disasters occurred south of the United States in Haiti.

As the college students of the University were filing in for their first week of classes, the citizens of Haiti suffered from a magnitude 7.0 earthquake, resulting in towering buildings falling to the ground, homes being destroyed and men, women and children becoming covered in rubble.

Since the disaster, many different countries and organizations joined forces giving a helping hand to the country in need, attempting to put order in the utter chaos that has taken over the small country. And even though some Haitians are being dug out alive from the debris, the shattered country that was known as having so very little now has even less.

Many good-spirited people have given whatever they can to help the suffering Haitians. Right now is a very opportune and pivotal time for those who can to help the less fortunate.

What I can’t stand is what I read on E! News’ Twitter account last Friday. The tweet reported Tiger Woods, a celebrity with a less than stellar reputation right now, was donating $3 million to help Haiti. The first thing that came to my mind was, “What a great way to build his PR back up after being caught cheating on his wife with numerous women.”

Using celebrity status to raise awareness about natural disasters or different causes is great, but I often second-guess the actions of these pop culture icons.

Since the tragedy, a number of celebrities have come forward to promote aid for this country in need. Some respectfully, but I can’t help but believe others are doing so for their own recognition.

George Clooney will be hosting an event airing this Friday, raising funds for relief efforts. This is a man who has very publicly worked for aiding countries less fortunate than us. He has traveled to many different lands and has seen the devastation he has been working to end.

Huge power couple Brangelina has been known to spend time and energy fighting (and adopting) in other countries. These two celebrities have traded their Gucci attire and strapped on working boots to help build homes for people left without any in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Jolie has even criticized President Obama for not taking more action for the happenings in Darfur. The fact they have announced to donate $1 million to Haiti, I can respect.

What doesn’t sit well with me is the news report I heard about Hollywood party monsters Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan attempting to raise awareness for the people in Haiti. I applaud their efforts for not sitting back and doing nothing, but I dare Paris to find Haiti on a map. Also, like Woods, Lohan has not been getting many positive headlines in the past couple years.

Paying some respects to Haiti seems to be a ploy to add their name to a selfless act in order to boost approval ratings. I’d find it a bit more sincere if she hosted an event for Haiti and wasn’t out partying with the Jersey Shore cast a couple nights ago.

A clip I caught on CNN featured a YouTube video by Disney Channel’s Selena Gomaz pleading for Americans to drop what they are doing and donate to a relief fund. I hope she wasn’t forced (I mean, encouraged) to make this video by her Disney executives, but I can’t help but have doubt.

Oprah Winfrey said it best when she said to do only what you can do for the country. Not everyone can donate money, and those who can’t shouldn’t feel bad. Oprah can do more than average Joe, but all is well-received by a citizen who has nothing.

On Oprah last Friday, guest Lady Gaga explained her efforts for Haiti. The popstar, who is currently touring, is offering to donate all proceeds from her ticket sales of her Jan. 24 New York City show, as well as any merchandise bought on her Web site, to help Haiti. She said on the show felt compelled to give after the tragic events of September 11, during which she was living in New York City. She proved in that statement she has a reason to give. I hope all other celebs are the same way.

Call me a tin man without a heart, but this is my plea: don’t fall for letting the people suffering in Haiti become a circus of public relations for American celebrities. The people in Haiti deserve so much more than that.

Respond to Matt at [email protected]