Bryson awarded Memorial Student Scholarship

Anthony Bryson said when he was little he wanted to be a paleontologist or an astronaut. Although his life took a much different path, Bryson has achieved much before reaching the age of 23.

Bryson was the recent recipient of the Memorial Student Scholarship Award from the Ohio Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance in the amount of $1,000. Professor Stephen Langendorfer worked with Bryson in previous classes and nominated him for the award.

Bryson is a senior majoring in exercise science with a specialization in human movement studies. He is an experienced athlete: he fenced in high school and for the University, was a member of the Ohio State Crew Club and is even a certified personal trainer. He was also deployed almost a year in Iraq before getting married and venturing to the University to continue his education.

Langendorfer said he had not paid attention to calls for nominations in the past, but after hearing of the award last fall, “[Bryson] immediately jumped to mind,” he said. “It struck me that this is the type of person that would represent the University very well.”

Langendorfer described Bryson as a diligent student and a “self-starter.”

“He’s in charge of his own learning … he doesn’t just sit in class, but he actively engages in the learning process,” he said.

While overseeing Bryson’s senior project, instead of taking Langendorfer’s suggestions, he recalled, Bryson conceptualized his senior project on his own based on his military experiences and what was being discussed in class.

Langendorfer said Bryson even built an apparatus to serve as the centerpiece for the project.

“I just like to do my own thing,” Bryson said. “I don’t need somebody standing over me the whole time telling me what to do.”

Professor Brian Campbell, who is Bryson’s academic adviser, attributed Bryson’s success to his military experience and his uncommon modesty and maturity.

“His maturity level is uncharacteristic of a typical undergraduate student,” Campbell said. “He brings more to the table … he knows what he wants and is willing to do what it takes to excel.”

Bryson said part of his maturity comes from his parents raising him to make his own decisions, including setting his own curfews.

Bryson’s wife Kelsey said, “l don’t know what motivates him, why he is the way he is, but he loves to learn.”

Bryson said he’s been independent from his parents since he was 18 and has paid his own way through college. In addition to his classes, he works nights as a custodian at the University.

“I’ve worked since I was 15, so I can’t imagine not holding down some sort of job,” he said. “I just find it natural to have something to do.”

Kelsey said even during Christmas break Bryson was “bored.”

“He gets bored if he’s not doing something intellectual,” she said. “He just likes getting things done and feeling accomplished.”

Kelsey said she was attracted at first to be Bryson’s friend because “he exudes a great warmth and caring for other people.”

“He wouldn’t tell you, but he loves his family,” she said. “Recently he’s started to call his grandmas every week just because he feels bad that they’re … kind of far away.”

Bryson grew up in Mason, Ohio, where he enlisted in the Army Reserve when he was just 17 and still a senior in high school. After completing basic training, he began his college career at Ohio State University, which was cut short when he was deployed to Iraq after one quarter. Bryson, who described his deployment in Iraq as “calm,” was stationed at Camp Taji in Iraq for 11-and-a-half months, where he worked on a bulk fuel farm and as security at an entry control point.

Upon returning to the U.S. in 2008, Bryson didn’t waste any time marrying his girlfriend Kelsey in August 2008. The couple met at Ohio State University in 2005, when they shared the same dorm floor and positions on the crew club.

Bryson has set his sights high for his own future. After graduation in May, he said he hopes to continue his education at the University to become a professor and to continue conducting research. But Bryson won’t stop there. He has re-enlisted for another six years in the Army Reserve, hoping to earn the rank of lieutenant colonel after serving 20 years.

“He’s just a great person,” Kelsey said. “He amazes me every day.”