City council meeting discusses resolutions, Community Center

A packed agenda full of five resolutions and more than 20 ordinances kept residents longer than an hour at last night’s city council meeting.

Three resolutions, honoring former council members Megan Newlove, Larry Sorrells and Jacob Redfern for their time serving the city, were moved to second and third readings. Resolutions must go through three readings before passing.

A resolution declaring it necessary to update an existing tax that provides funds for recreational purposes of Bowling Green City Parks and Recreation was also moved to its second and third readings. In order for the resolution to pass, the new tax must be approved by the Wood County Auditor.

Councilman at Large and Finance Committee member Robert McOmber made it clear to residents at the meeting that the resolution was being moved to its second and third readings in order to speed up the process of getting the levy on the ballot.

“This resolution needs to be moved along quickly in order for it to be brought to the Board of Elections and the Auditor,” he said. “This new levy will be replacing a previous tax levy that has been in place for several years.”

McOmber also brought to the audience’s attention a recently passed ordinance regarding the issuance of bonds to improve North Main Street. The bonds, which are not to exceed $2.2 million, will be used for improvements such as widening and paving roads or constructing curbs.

Michelle Gregor, director of Parks and Recreation, announced an 89 percent cost recovery of the Community Center during the past year. She said the recovery was due to more than 13,000 people visiting the center, as well as the sale of 1,849 passes for youth programs.

Councilman Mike Frost, ward four, expressed his gratitude to Gregor for keeping the Community Center in such great condition.

“I think you should be applauded for having there be a place for youths to spend their time,” he said. “Out of all the cuts you have had to make this past year, keeping youth programs at the Community Center and not cutting them was a great decision.”