Track team to host invite for second week in a row

Now that the team is settled in, it’s time to step up.

The BG women’s track and field team hosted its season opener last weekend and is excited for another meet today.

BG will host the Jane Herrmann Invitational today, with Dayton, Youngstown State, and IPFW scheduled to participate.

The Falcons are looking to win a team title in their second of three home meets in Jan., coming off a fifth-place finish last weekend in the BGSU Challenge.

Last weekend the Falcons had just one individual event winner, Jeanette Pettigrew in the 60 meter dash. In five other events, BG secured at least a top-four finish.

Today the team is looking to remain strong at the top and improve in other areas.

“I was pleased with the first meet last week, but definitely with every competition there are areas to work on,” said coach Cami Wells. “And we just want to continue to work on the areas that we feel we need improvement in and to continue to capitalize on our strengths.”

With the anticipation surrounding a season opener in the past, the team is settled in and excited to perform in front of the home crowd again this weekend.

“This is a huge meet for us. We know that we need everybody to contribute and step up, and really get done what is expected of them this weekend,” Wells said.

“The team was excited about the start last weekend. Having that first meet under their belts now, they are really ready to go this weekend and excited about fighting for that team title.”

With only four teams participating today compared to ten last Saturday, the scoring setup is different. Each team will be able to have two athletes score in every event, as opposed to the top eight finishers scoring points last weekend.

BG placed second and had four individual champions last year in the Jane Herrmann Invitational. Dayton is the meet’s defending champion and coming off of a second-place finish at the BGSU Challenge last Saturday.

Today’s meet begins at 5 p.m. inside Perry Field House.