Guest presents different calls for action at USG meeting

Even though some major issues were tabled until next week’s meeting, the Undergraduate Student Government opened their meeting last night to a few guests in order to help in other areas.

ACT plans drive for Haiti

Jessica Fager and Julie McKee, both members of Active Christians Today (ACT), presented information on relief efforts for Haiti after the 7.0 magnitude earthquake hit the country two weeks ago.

Organization Liaison Sarah Shepherd said she saw Fager and Mckee being interviewed on the Toledo news, and saw an opportunity to work with them.

Fager and McKee were standing on behalf of Dave Warner, ACT’s pastor, who is currently in Haiti.

The two women both spent a year in the country and felt very saddened upon hearing the news of the largest quake in 200 years.

They begun their presentation by presenting different facts about the country. They said Haiti is the poorest country in the hemisphere with 80 percent of its inhabitants living under the poverty line.

Fager showed different pictures of some of the people she came in contact with when she lived there before the earthquake, one displaying the image of a young boy wearing clothes too big for him and no shoes on his feet.

“These are hard things to see, let alone [experience],” Fager said.

She also talked about Lashbrook Family Ministry, which ACT has been working with for the past 14 years. The organization founded Gace Christian School and Feeding Program in Haiti, but has been closed down due to damage from the quake.

The organization’s main focus is for the children affected by the quake.

McKee then talked about what students at the University can do. They plan to work with student groups on campus and to start taking donations from students. ACT is looking to set up collection boxes in residence halls. They said perfect items to donate are canned meats and vegetables, peanut butter, cooking oil, diapers, soap and shampoo.

Donations are being taken to ACT Campus House, 612 E. Wooster St., Monday. through Friday 9a.m. to 6p.m. and 6p.m. to 7:30p.m. on Sunday.

Mayor visits USG

Mayor of Bowling Green John Quinn visited the meeting to discuss the U.S. census happening this year.

After speaking about the University reaching its centennial, he mentioned the time the school was almost closed down in the ’30s. Fortunately, he said, the University was saved from becoming a mental institution and has grown in admission from 1,000 to 30,000.

Since 1950, University students were permitted to count in the census.

“The census is very important to Bowling Green,” Quinn said. “We need to count everyone that we can.”

He then asked if USG members could do what they can to get the word out to University students, saying that anyone living in the dorms and apartments can be counted for in the census no matter what they identify as their hometown.

USG gears up for elections

Chief Administrator Melinda Grooms presented the rules, regulations and guidelines for the elections, with voting set for Mar. 29-31 and Apr. 1-2.

Some of the rules for members running involve a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5, petitions with 50 undergraduate signatures (100 for those running for presidency and vice-presidency) and campaigning with a budget of only $150.

Debates will be held for both the potential president and vice president, the date, time and location are soon to be announced.

Candidates are allowed to campaign after attending an information session, which the first one will be held on Tuesday, Feb. 9.

The approval of the rules were tabled until next week.

President Sundeep Mutgi asked members of USG to continue their hard work into the end of the semester, asking them to “kick it into high gear,” and “put to bed some of the long-standing issues.”

Also discussed

The approval of the constitution that was planned for this week was delayed until next week’s meeting due to Justin Albright’s, Internal Affairs Committee Chair, absence.

Also, regarding the shuttle fee that was approved by USG but not by GSS, Mutgi asked for anyone interested in joining the joint committee they started planning at the end of fall semester.

As of right now, the two members involved in the committee are Mutgi and At-Large Senator Clayton Stewart.