Logging into fame

The celebrities have spoken, and taken over.

The realm of social networking started as a way for people to meet new friends and reconnect with old acquaintances. Now, as the mass market online world continues to expand, it’s more than just how your best friend who moved away in the third grade that can be found.

The biggest change comes from celebrities being active on the Internet today, something that was unheard of in the past. The growing popularity of social networking sites has paved the way for many different musicians, film stars and activists to voice their opinions for the masses to see just like everyone else. Whether they sign on for a chance to hear feedback from fans or for endless self promotion is the ultimate question.

In a recent interview with SHOWstudio.com, answering questions from fans, pop star Lady GaGa talked about why she uses Twitter.

“You can build trust with your fans if you use it for the right reasons,” GaGa said. “I embrace the Internet in a pop cultural kind of way.”

Best known for her outrageous outfits and six number-one singles, GaGa said she uses Twitter the way she thinks stars of the ’70s and ’80s would have if the Internet was as prevalent as it is today. She said she loves the Internet because it gives all people the same voice, and it allows her to have a relationship with her fans.

That relationship came in handy when she broke down during a show in Nottingham, England because her grandfather was in the hospital. The next day, fans had “#GetWellGrandpaGaGa” as the number one trending topic in the U.K.

“[Embracing the] Internet is what a pop artist should do,” she said.

And GaGa isn’t the only one taking advantage of Twitter connections.

From the time that Ashton Kutcher became the first celebrity to reach 1,000,000 followers on Twitter (beating CNN), celebrities have been reaching out to their fans in big ways, including giving away free tickets to shows and sharing photos to give more glimpses behind the scenes.

Kutcher even decided to take the social networking site one step further by pirating the opening scenes of his new flick, “Killers.”

Many comedians find themselves on Twitter to share some humor.

“Twitter allows me as a comic to connect to fans all over the world,” comedian Loni Love said. “I share jokes, news articles and do it all under 140 characters.”

Michael Ian Black is also a frequent tweeter. In the past, Black went through his list of followers and cracked innocent jokes at their expense.

Even organizations offer fans reason to follow them. Rolling Stone magazine will give clues on who will be on the cover of upcoming issues days before the covers are announced.

Alternative band Radiohead decided to sell their 2007 album “In Rainbows” not in retail stores, but on Radiohead.com.

Without a major record label to profit from sales, the band sold their album for whatever the fan wanted to pay. The price tag on the digital download link was simply whatever the fan wanted to charge to their credit card.

The move was for the benefit of the fans, and a possible middle finger to “the man.” Either way, Radiohead utilized the power of the Internet to connect with fans.

Other social networking sites have a way of sky-rocketing people to instant superstardom, for about fifteen minutes that is.

YouTube has a way of being able to put someone who is just sitting in their bedroom with a camera into the homes of millions of other people.

Greyson Chance is a recent success story thanks to YouTube. After posting some videos of original music and a cover of Lady GaGa’s “Paparazzi,” 12-year-old Chance has become a recognized face. In just under two weeks, comedian Ellen DeGeneres founded a record company and gave Chance an opportunity to make an album.

Whether it’s a video of a 7-year old-boy dealing with the after-effects of a surgery at the dentist in the backseat or a superfan exclaiming “Leave Britney alone!” the site is able to turn these people into short-lasting celebrities.

In the case of the PS22 Chorus in Staten Island, New York, posting videos on YouTube gave them the opportunity to meet huge stars. The choir posted their versions of popular songs, which then led them to being able to perform for President Obama and the first family, Beyonce, Stevie Nicks and Rihanna.