DeMeno, East finish season at NCAA Regional

gymnastics+4%2F8
gymnastics 4/8

Two gymnasts concluded the season at the NCAA Regional round in Baton Rouge on Friday. Senior Lauren DeMeno and junior Jovannah East competed at Louisiana State University on vault and the all-around, respectively.

DeMeno’s turn came in the first session of the regional, where she scored a 9.775. This placed her in a tie for 32nd among 54 gymnasts at the competition. The meet was DeMeno’s third trip to the NCAA Regionals in her career, and the second consecutive year she qualified for the regional on vault.

DeMeno was pleased with the final competition of her career.

“I think the overall competition went really well. The new format for NCAA Regionals is very exciting, so it was great to be in the PMAC (gymnastics facility) with all of the energy. There were so many amazing teams and individuals, and I was extremely thankful I was able to be a part of it,” DeMeno said. “Being able to finish out my career with a hit vault, at a place I have always dreamed of visiting, was really special, and watching Jovannah East be spectacular, as always, was even better.”

East competed in the second session, earning a 39.025 and taking 12th out of the 15 gymnasts competing in the all-around. She tied for 17th out of 52 with a 9.825 on the floor exercise. On balance beam, East tied for 16th out of 51 competitors with a score of 9.8. She also earned scores of 9.75 on uneven bars and 9.65 on vault.

East’s all-around score was only the fourth time in BGSU history a gymnast has scored above a 39 at the regional competition.

Coach Kerrie Turner was proud of her postseason competitors and their performance at the regional.

“Lauren and Jovannah did an excellent job on their respective events. I am impressed with how they handled the pressure of the postseason and represented BGSU with outstanding routines and character. The experience of competing at LSU was exceptional, and I believe both student-athletes created lifelong memories at this event,” Turner said.

DeMeno reflected on her career as it came to a close Friday and was grateful for the opportunities presented to her by BGSU gymnastics.

“The BGSU gymnastics program is something that will always be a part of me. This program, the coaches and my teammates have shaped who I am today and have given me so many experiences that I will hold with me forever,” DeMeno said.

Though the Falcons did not have a winning season, Turner was happy with how her team handled the adversity.

“Our overall season was a bit of a roller coaster. This team has showed excellent work ethic and character through some challenging times. I am so happy for our student-athletes. They ended the year on a positive note with strong scores and great team moments, particularly in our last few competitions,” Turner said.

The Falcons finished the 2019 season with an overall record of 2-14.