Severe weather hits northern Ohio, BGSU student captures potential tornado on video

Thunderstorms, complete with high winds, lightning and quarter-sized hail, hit much of northern Ohio Tuesday night into Wednesday morning. 

According to data from the National Weather Service, the Toledo area saw up to 37-mph wind gusts Tuesday.

On the other side of the state, BGSU student Jared Svoboda caught a funnel-shaped cloud on video and posted it to Twitter. 

The video, shot in Brunswick, does not show clear rotation where the cloud extends down in Medina County. Tornado warnings were in effect in Medina County at the time the video was posted, but Falcon Media is still waiting on confirmation from the Cleveland National Weather Service if this was a tornado.

NWS confirmed there was a tornado outside of Grafton in Medina County; however, it is still not confirmed if the video Svoboda filmed showed a tornado.

CNWS posted on social media this morning asking for photos and details of damage from Northeast Ohio residents. 

Data from NWS, which was updated at 1:28 a.m. Wednesday, shows the highest winds for Tuesday were 43 mph with 51-mph gusts in the Cleveland area. The wind speeds of the weakest tornado on the Enhanced Fujita Scale, an EF0, are 65-85 mph. Typical damage for an EF0 tornado includes damage to gutters or siding, some surface damage to roofs, broken tree branches and felling of shallow-rooted trees, according to Weather.com.

Cleveland area NWS data recorded the following weather conditions for Tuesday: thunderstorms, heavy rain, hail and fog.

[[inline_image_identifier 7a4cacba66be5b39b2135474a4dd8de5.png]]

In the event of severe weather, NWS recommends staying indoors and away from windows.

BG24 weather reporter and meteorology minor Kendall Linnenkugel explained the difference between tornadoes, funnel clouds and other severe weather clouds based on her study of the NWS Weather Spotter’s Field Guide.

“(A) funnel cloud is a cloud that is a rotating funnel that hangs off of a wall cloud in a supercell thunderstorm. It can only be a funnel cloud if it is hanging on a wall cloud and it has to be rotating,” she responded in a text. “The difference between a funnel cloud and a tornado is the rotating column of air hasn’t touched the ground yet. What can get confusing to a reader is just the column of air has to touch the ground to be a tornado, not necessarily the cloud itself.

“The cloud can still be halfway up the funnel but you can still see debris getting kicked up on the ground. That’s a tornado,” she continued. “There’s also just menacing looking clouds that aren’t even funnel clouds. … These don’t rotate and they don’t hang off of a wall cloud. They’re just condensation that’s happening lower to the ground than normal.”