7 scary movies to get in the Halloween spirit

October is fast approaching, and what better way to get in the Halloween spirit than with some scary movies? From thrillers to psychological horror to straight up jump scares, here are seven good horror movies to kickstart the season.

‘Sleepy Hollow’ (1999)

“Sleepy Hollow” is a gothic drama set in 1799 that follows Constable Ichabod Crane, who is summoned to the little town of Sleepy Hollow after a series of gruesome murders. As he attempts to solve the mystery of the murders and the so-called “Headless Horseman” behind them, he unravels a much deeper plot involving the victims — and realizes nobody is quite who they seem.

‘The Boy’ (2016)

A young woman named Greta accepts a job caring for an 8-year-old boy in a small English village. Upon arrival, she discovers that the boy is actually a doll made in the image of the family’s deceased son — who they treat as though he’s alive. After Greta violates the strict set of rules for caring for him, a disturbing string of events lead her to wonder if he actually is.

‘Us’ (2019)

Jordan Peele’s “Us” was one of the most talked about movies in theatres after its release in March of 2019. The film follows a family of four whose vacation turns nightmarish when they run into their own doppelgangers. A series of attacks with mysterious motives leaves them wondering who they can trust, and who is actually who they say they are.

‘It’ (2017) & ‘It Chapter Two’ (2019)

For those who fear clowns, beware, because these two films circulate around a killer clown who appears once every 27 years to eat children. Set in the fictional town of Derry, Maine, a group of seven misfits band together in an attempt to stop the evil force, feeding on the citizens. The second installment finds the group, now adults, returning to Derry 27 years after facing the clown to finish him off once and for all.

‘The Houses October Built’ (2014)

On a road trip to find the scariest and most extreme haunted houses in the country, a group of friends suddenly finds themselves in grave danger when they realize the scares have become a little too real. This film is shot in the “found footage” style, a unique aspect that adds to the overall scare factor.

‘The Exorcist’ (1973)

A staple in the horror movie world, “The Exorcist” follows the story of 12-year-old Regan MacNeil. After she is possessed by a demonic force, her desperate mother attempts to help free her through the power of exorcism. Even today, almost four decades after the film’s initial release, “The Exorcist” remains one of the scariest movies ever made.

‘Child’s Play’ (2019)

While some may not consider the remake of the original 1988 film truly scary, what earns it a spot on the list is the psychological aspect. The new film imagines a world not that far off from our own – in which all technology is connected, and can be controlled by voice command, or in this case, a robot doll designed to be your child’s “best buddy.” After receiving a defective doll as a gift, young Andy quickly realizes the detriment technology can have when misused. Especially when the technology is determined to be your best, and only, friend.