Higdon’s transition from student to success

Jennifer+Higdon.jpg
Jennifer Higdon.jpg

University Alumna Jennifer Higdon has won another Grammy. Higdon is not unfamiliar with the spotlight—she is often described by publications, such as The New York Times and Washington Post, as one of America’s most frequently played living composers and previously won a Pulitzer and another Grammy in 2010. At this year’s awards ceremony, Higdon’s Viola Concerto won for Best Contemporary Classical Composition.

Her transition into success started in her undergraduate years here at the University.

Higdon said in a Vimeo made by Madhouse (a multidisciplinary design firm in Toledo), “I was so inexperienced when I arrived, and to have kind of made the transition from a student who knew nothing to a student who could make their way in the world is a pretty amazing journey.”

According to her website, Higdon taught herself flute at 15 years old and didn’t begin any formal musical education until she came to the University as an 18-year-old. Higdon didn’t formally start studying composition until the age of 21, but these late starts have not damaged her success.

Although Higdon started out in flute performance, not composition, she did not let it stand in her way.

Marilyn Shrude, a distinguished artist professor in composition here at the University, said Higdon is a “big talent” and has an “enormous work ethic.”

Shrude said Higdon has always been composing, even during her undergrad, and when Higdon was in Shrude’s classes the young artist was very talented and energetic.

Higdon still sends Shrude her new works. In fact, Shrude received the Grammy award-winning Viola Concerto before the work premiered. Shrude describes Higdon’s music as colorful and exciting with a strong rhythmic voice. Many of Higdon’s works are orchestral, and she loves to use brass voices in the orchestra.

Shrude said Higdon also stays well-connected to the University. Higdon played in the New Music Festival as a flute performance major, and Shrude said about 5 years ago Higdon was the featured artist of the Festival. This growth shows that Higdon has in fact made her way in the world.

Higdon also is featured on a radio series which is produced by WGTE Public Media and hosted by Brad Cresswell. This radio show is part of the New Music for Bowling Green initiative.

“So, she’s kind of spreading the Bowling Green name.” Shrude said.

Higdon received an honorary doctorate degree from the University in 2014, and Shrude said that Higdon has always been very generous. Whenever she is at the University, Higdon is very open to helping younger composers.