Mercy College merger discussed at Undergraduate Student Government meeting

Dean Jim Ciesla from the College of Health and Human Services and Interim Provost John Fischer discussed the recent merger of the University with Mercy College at Monday’s Undergraduate Student Government meeting.

For nearly 50 years, the University and University of Toledo have partnered to bring a nursing program to any desiring student. Currently, students go through the pre-nursing program for two years at the University and then transition to the nursing program at University of Toledo, while still receiving a University degree.

Last May, University of Toledo decided to end the partnership because they did not have enough spots for all of the prospective nursing students from both schools. The University now has plans to fully take over operations of Mercy College over the next two to three years. In September, officials from both colleges signed a letter of intent which allowed the process to start.

“This year we will be exploring the option of potentially having a permanent transfer of the University being July 1, 2019,” Ciesla said.

Some of the main reasons for the new partnership includes hope to improve the nursing program at the University and to increase the number of nursing students and post-traditional nursing students.

Ross Martin, a representative from Environmental Action Group, also spoke at the meeting to discuss an initiative to ban single-use plastic bags. Martin said he hopes to replace all single-use plastic bags on campus with reusable options.

“We want to get renewable alternatives if we can because a ban is problematic for a lot of reasons,” Martin said.

Martin said one of his goals was to get a reusable bag in the hands of every incoming freshman, so they would not be in a situation where they need a single-use bag. Currently when checking out at the Falcon’s Nest, bags are only given if the customer asks for one, but Martin said he hopes by giving everyone a reusable bag, no one will need to ask.

The main issue of switching to reusable bags is the cost of purchasing enough bags for all incoming freshmen. Martin said he plans to propose the idea to the Student Green Initiatives Fund, but he was also looking to USG to gauge the reaction their constituents would have to a plastic bag ban.

Another issue Martin presented was an idea to turn the former golf course into a nature preserve with trails and recreation areas for students and members of the community to enjoy.

“I think it would be really great for our image as a university, to show that the University cares about sustainability,” Martin said.

Student Senator Eugene Gorman presented on a conference he recently attended about the tobacco free initiative. The goal of the initiative is to make the University a completely tobacco-free campus, including smokeless tobacco, e-cigarettes and other vaping devices.

“We’d like to remove tobacco use completely … in order to promote a safer and more inclusive environments for all students,” Gorman said.

Gorman’s goal is to have the initiative passed by next year.

Two new senators, Naveen Kumar and Courtney Chambers, were also sworn in at the meeting.

The next meeting will take place Oct. 22 in Room 308 of the Bowen-Thompson Student Union at 7:30 p.m.