Expand Your Horizons Fair offers opportunities for students

Students browsed over 120 information tables about studying abroad, volunteering, internships, job opportunities, community events and more in the Bowen Thompson Student Union Ballroom.

Students checked in and earned Ziggy Points and collected stickers at each of the tables they visited. At check out, students used their stickers to earn raffle tickets. Students entered their tickets in raffles for prizes: ranging from BGSU merch to Starbucks gift cards, to a $600 plane ticket voucher to study abroad.

Students picked up free candy, cookies and pamphlets at various tables and had the chance to pet a live snake at the Ohio Department of Natural Resources table. At the Global Connections table, students could play a game for a chance to win a T-shirt or a goodie bag. The Imagination Station Toledo table had a mini science experiment.

The University is promoting “experiential learning” through the Career Center, the Center for Community and Civic Engagement, the Center for Undergraduate Research and Scholarship, the International Programs & Partnerships and Learning Communities, said Paul Valdez, associate director of service learning.

Valdez encourages students to volunteer early on in their academic career. As students progress in their education, they could also gain valuable experience through internships. Students should take advantage of the Career Center and Handshake, the University’s online portal for volunteering, internships and jobs, he said.  

Handshake is now mobile-friendly, Valdez noted.

[[inline_image_identifier ad513ee9f930624c0fce2a55bbff4271.jpg]]

Information about community events, volunteering, civic-engagement activities and more are in the Community-Engagement Update. Students can sign up for the Update at www.bgsu.edu/CEUpdate, Valdez said.

Studying abroad might seem out of reach for students, but the University seeks to remove scheduling and financial barriers for students.

“Don’t just assume you can’t do it,” Ryan Czech, senior student services counselor said.

He recommends students plan ahead. Students can plan trips for as little as a few weeks during the Winter Session or as long as a year. There are also many scholarship opportunities available. Studying abroad can be anywhere from Austria to Russia, Costa Rica to China. There are international exchange student opportunities, international internships and international jobs available. There are internships for specific majors, and internships open to all majors.

“I didn’t know this was going on, but I just walked in,” said Erin Shibley, a sophomore international business and marketing student. “I’m trying to study abroad next fall.”

Shibley talked with Education Abroad partners as well as community partners at the Fair and took advantage of the free ice cream on her way out the door.