The many faces of Freddie & Frieda

The most popular couple on campus will look a little different in the fall.

Freddie and Frieda Falcon, the University’s feathered mascots, are getting new uniforms for the first time in five years.

“Our mascots are pretty beloved … wear and tear is pretty rigorous,” said Associate Dean of Students Michael Ginsburg.

Ginsburg, along with Interim Coordinator of Spirit Programs Anne Marie King, are looking to freshen up the uniforms.

For feedback, they’ve had conversations with students, spirit group leaders and mascot alums, Ginsburg said.

Some of the updates will include changing the orange on their uniforms to the official University shade of orange, and there will be falcon heads on their shirts.

All of the changes will be on the uniforms. Nothing will be different about the falcon’s heads.

It will be “nothing major,” Ginsburg said. He said he wants the uniform to be less “rag tag” and to have a “renewed sense of pride.”

But other reasons are also motivating the call for new suits.

“The suits have been used so much; no amount of washing can make them smell good again,” Ginsburg said.

“[The suits] are five years old,” said senior Jared Miller, who was Freddie this last school year. “With 200 events a year, that adds up. We kind of understand the smell. It’s not a huge problem.”

Admissions Counselor Cristina Sanchez said she likes the way the mascots look now.

“I’m okay with the changes as long as they’re not too dramatically different,” she said.

She was Frieda for the 2009-10 school year and recalled the smell of the suits.

“I think that every group had to endure the smell,” Sanchez said. “They smell like Febreze 24/7. It’s not pleasant.”

Students have to wear the mascot uniforms anywhere from an hour to all day, Sanchez said. They are told to be the first to arrive and the last to leave an event.

Even with the smell, Sanchez had nothing but positive things to say about her experience.

“[Being Frieda] made me love the University even more,” Sanchez said.

The last time Freddie and Frieda’s outfits changed significantly was 10 years ago.

After “going missing,” they debuted new outfits at the Nov. 3, 2001, Homecoming football game, Ginsburg said.

They may be doing something similar at one of the football games this fall, but Ginsburg said it was a good opportunity to save the debut for an event at the Stroh Center. He said it would help create excitement.

Ginsburg said the change was delayed due to cost. The new uniforms will cost $6,500.

“They’re not cheap,” he said.

King is also excited for the changes.

“I feel the timing is perfect with all the new and exciting campus updates that will be finalized for the 2011 fall semester,” King said in an email.