Student government selects new secretary

When Undergraduate Student Senate speaker Ben Goldsberry appoints a legislative secretary, he prefers it be someone in his immediate pool of acquaintances – which is why he chose Greg Cherry.

Cherry is a sophomore telecommunications major and met Goldsberry by working alongside him as a resident adviser in Centennial Hall.

“We spent time together because of our RA staff, and my impression of him led me to ask him to be secretary,” Goldsberry said. “I’ve seen how he works. Greg does what he needs to do, above and beyond.”

Cherry said he thought Goldsberry asked him because they were able to be exposed to each other’s attributes, strengths and weaknesses through their work as RAs.

Cherry asked Goldsberry about USG in conversation and Goldsberry told him they needed a new secretary, wondering if Cherry was interested.

“I was,” Cherry said. “It seemed like a great opportunity to experience how USG was.”

USG seems to be more wide-scale than Resident Student Association, as it doesn’t concern just residents, Cherry said.

Cherry is vice president of finance for RSA and said he was looking for a way to get involved with USG. He plans to continue in USG even after his role as secretary ends.

In his search for a secretary, Goldsberry looked for someone who was interested in the position and who he could have a close relationship with.

“It allows for a lot of transparency and communication,” Goldsberry said.

To help him narrow down candidates for the position, Goldsberry had discussions with each of the people he considered to make sure they were qualified. He found Cherry was the most qualified and had experience in not only RSA, but many different organizations on campus.

Goldsberry said he was looking for someone who possessed good time management, typing skills and who would be dedicated and organized.

“Greg was simply the most qualified and the best suited for it,” Goldsberry said. “He was someone I could easily work with.”

Goldsberry began to look for a new secretary when former USG secretary, sophomore Eric Juzkiw, notified Goldsberry approximately three weeks ago that he wouldn’t be able to continue in his position.

Juzkiw had been very busy recently and was forced to cut back on his activities, he said.

The transition won’t affect USG members as much as it will students, Goldsberry said.

“It will affect the way we show outwardly,” he said. “The minutes are public knowledge, so a new secretary will be a change stylistically.”

Due to the quick transition, Cherry was “thrown into the fire,” Goldsberry said.

Cherry has not previously been involved in USG and Monday night was his first general assembly meeting as secretary.

Secretarial duties during USG meetings include typing up the meeting minutes, and Goldsberry said Cherry did very well Monday night.

“It was not as much word-for-word everything, but the important points,” Goldsberry said. “They were very clear and precise.”

Goldsberry said Cherry is doing extremely well so far and he has already set a few goals for his new position.

“To make sure I get all important information down; help the speaker get a nice, organized environment; send minutes, and maybe, in a few years, work up to another position in USG,” Cherry said.

Cherry said he has enjoyed his time as secretary so far.

“I really like it; it has a great structure and formality,” Cherry said. “It’s a friendly environment.”