Among the rollercoasters different freight zones provide terror to guests

For most of Cedar Point’s season, it’s the extreme heights and speeds of roller coasters that guests have to be scared about. But in September and October, the entire park celebrates the annual HalloWeekends, leaving guests spooked off the rides.

What began in 1997 as a festively decorated “scary” walkthrough has evolved into one of Cedar Point’s biggest yearly attractions.

“HalloWeekends developed into one of the most popular [events] of the season,” said Robin Innes, Director of Public Relations for Cedar Point.

For the 15th year of HalloWeekends, the park will open two new “fright zones,” according to a Cedar Point fact sheet.

Fright zones are interactive, sectioned-off paths outside occupied by “screamsters,” whose job is to frighten guests walking through.

Chelsie Cole, a “screamster” since 2009, says the fright zones have gotten more elaborate over the years.

“They hired over 400 screamsters this year, compared to under 300 when I first started,” Cole said.

While six fright zones and four haunted houses appeal to the more adult crowd, Cedar Point tries to keep the park balanced, Innes said.

“We want to keep it fun for all ages,” Innes said.

A fun house, hay maze and parade through the park’s Midway feature family entertainment, the park’s website said. A number of other attractions, including gypsy fortune telling and numerous live shows are events for all ages.

Although planning for HalloWeekends takes place year-round, Cedar Point works with varying priorities at different points in the year, Innes said. The park mainly focuses on the upcoming year during the off season between November and April.

“We devote a lot of time in July, August and September for HalloWeekends,” Innes said.

In preparation for HalloWeekends, the park reviews performance and popularity of events and attractions of previous years. Cedar Point always looks toward improvement and expansion, Innes said.

Ultimately, the goal is to keep things different and fresh so guests will keep coming back, Innes said.

“[People go for] cheap entertainment,” Cole said. “[Guests] pay for a day in the park riding rides and get the whole night for HalloWeekends.”

After three years of jumping out and screaming at guests, the job never gets old, Cole said.

“It doesn’t feel like a job,” Cole said. “You get paid for having fun.”