Different stores around area offer trendy Halloween costumes

Bowling Green resident Skyler Stearns looks at a posable spider at Halloween Spirit while shopping for a costume.

Halloween is drawing near, and costume stores are open to meet the demand of customers who plan on engaging in the festivities.

One store opened up on Main Street; it offers a range of merchandise to meet a variety of demands.

“We sell all kinds – anywhere from zombies to superheroes to humor, and range from adult to children,” store manager Mary Ann Clark said.

Out of all the costume items, Clark said it is hard to say what they do not carry, because they carry quite a bit.

Josh Miller, manager of a Halloween store in Fallen Timbers, said they also carry everything and anything.

“There are just little nitpicky things we do not have.” Miller said. “There seems to be a need for Wilma, Velma and Barney costumes. We have also had a lot of people wanting to dress up like Phineas and Ferb.”

Prices on costumes tend to range at either store.

“It depends on licensing and pricing,” Miller said. “We have something for everyone’s budget.”

At both stores, it can also matter how much the customer wants to accessorize with their costume. Accessories at the Fallen Timbers store can range from $2-$50, and the most expensive item is the gorilla suit at $80.

Costumes also go through trends through the years. Clark said that military and superheroes are selling really well this year, and the most popular little girl costumes include those based on the Monster High dolls.

Miller said he has consistently seen pirates sell well every year, in addition to the Green Man suit from “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.”

“I try to steer people away from the pirates stuff, just because everyone is doing it and Halloween should be about standing out and being different,” Miller said.

Freshman Sarah Sexton has dressed up in recent years as someone from the Renaissance Era, a flapper and a vampire.

Sexton said what she likes most about dressing up and the holiday is it reminds her of “going out with family.”

Miller said that what he thinks people like most about Halloween is that the holiday allows them to “disguise themselves in costumes and unleash their inner nature and have fun without being judged.”

“I can’t think of a better holiday to break the antisocial shell than Halloween,” Miller said.