‘The pill’ brings negative consequences

In 1961, the FDA first approved the marketing of birth control pills in the United States. Much controversy, both scientific and ethical, has ensued.

Several years later, a paper appeared dealing with, among other things, the ethical problems associated with the pill. For reference purposes, the paper’s title is “Humanae Vitae.” The author is Pope Paul VI. The year was 1968.

The essay predicted that one of the greatest impacts of artificial contraception would be with regards to the attitudes of men. Some would see themselves freed from any responsibility of parenthood when their partner took the pill. It would become a sexual free-for-all. The prediction was that men might see their partners as a sort of sexual plaything and would be unconcerned about their partner’s need for love and emotional support.

Coincidentally with the advent of the pill, and in some ways because of it, was the rise of the feminist movement. Ethically speaking, a perfect storm arose when some women mistakenly perceived equality with men as an excuse to act like men.

We are now experiencing the rise of sexually “liberated” women who believe that they can move from bed to bed on a whim. Some might possibly believe in “serial monogamy,” another way of stating that the frequency of changing partners slows down somewhat. In addition, we’re also witnessing such self-contradictory movements as “feminist porn.”

Another consequence addressed by the paper was the separation of sex from the possibility of conception. People are free to engage in sex for personal pleasure divorced from any consequences. The essay foresaw an increase in both selfishness on the part of men and women and in marital infidelity.

There must be more than a few women conflicted over reconciling their natural sexual desires with the problems of dealing with some men, many of whom are only interested in the answer to one question: are you on the pill? Or more recently: do you have condoms?

When questions such as these are asked, it can be a sign that the inquirer is only interested in one of the consequences of sex, i.e., the possibility of conception. Ignored are other consequences, such as the feelings of love, intimacy and permanency of the relationship that should accompany sex. And these feelings are valid and necessary for both men and women.

The advent of the pill and other contraceptive aids has been problematic. Not only has it brought forth a full range of conflicting emotions on the part of both men and women, but it has also created much confusion because of the rise of relativism, the outlook that will admit of no objective truth – no universal standard of right and wrong.

There were some effects of the pill that the essay could not foretell: the pollution of waterways due to the high estrogen levels secreted by those taking the pill and the resultant effects on fish reproduction, as well as a backlash against the pill in the early ‘70s after reports linking it to breast cancer. The formulation of the pill has changed over the years after reports of blood clots and other ailments.

Nonetheless, the paper correctly foretold a number of negative outcomes arising from the general use of artificial birth control. The issues – and the paper – remain controversial to this day. But the events predicted can’t be denied, wished away or trivialized.

Along with sexual liberation, artificial conception has brought out some of the worst human traits: selfishness, lack of responsibility and the de-linkage of consequences with causes.

Respond to Phil at