Headline-grabbing antics overshadowed Winehouse’s talent

They tried to make her go to rehab, but she kept saying “no, no, no!”

It may have been a humorous anecdote back in 2006, but the death of Amy Winehouse last weekend reminded us all how cruel the life of fame can be.

Winehouse, who became popular in the states after her album “Back To Black” won five Grammys, was found dead in her London home. The news outlets labeled it as “Breaking News,” but it was nowhere near shocking.

Since her rise to fame, Amy has been no stranger to controversy. She was the ultimate party girl back in 2007, putting Paris, Lindsay and Britney to shame. She publicly battled addictions to drugs and alcohol and has entered rehab more times than I can keep track of.

Fans of her solid “Back to Black” had something to look forward to in 2011. Her management continued to ensure the public that Amy was well again, a new album was hinted at and her comeback tour was scheduled.

Needless to say, things in Amy’s life took a turn, and the world lost an extraordinary talent.

Her smooth, soulful voice was the hook. Her jazzy, bluesy pop songs were unlike anything else on the radio at the time. Paired together, “Back To Black,” scored a near-perfect score from RollingStone magazine making many different “Best of the Decade” lists..

Her career looked promising, but a downward spiral concerning drugs, alcohol and fame took over, stealing Winehouse away before fans got any more music. “Back To Black” will go down as Winehouse’s best work and rightfully so. It’s a beautiful piece of work, mostly about love turned into turmoil.

And it’s a shame that she became such a punchline while she was alive. If only she were remembered for what she was great at.

She now joins Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison as musicians not only dying young but at the age of 27.

Looking back, it is easy to see how the lyrics in her biggest hit, “Rehab,” were a desperate cry for help.