TV Show Review: “Grey’s Anatomy”

Grade: C-

The two hour season premiere of Grey’s Anatomy on Thursday night fell flat with a distinct lack of emotion from the characters.

Derek Shepherd (played by Patrick Dempsey) just can’t seem to forgive Meredith Grey (played by Ellen Pompeo) for tampering with his medical trial and the show doesn’t have the same chemistry with the absence of his usual soft spot for his wife.

Owen and Cristina are having problems as well, as they can’t seem to agree on whether they want children.

Meanwhile, Kepner fails as chief resident and none of the residents seem to be able to work together, forcing Bailey to make them do a team-building surgery, which highlights Avery as top dog.

When Meredith gets fired, she stays at the hospital, which seems strange, as if she doesn’t believe she really got fired. Viewers don’t even get to see her be emotional about it, which makes the show lack its usual drama.

The idea of Meredith following in her mother’s footsteps and running off with her daughter was a good plotline, but I was disappointed when Meredith didn’t even run as far as the hospital parking lot.

Their baby getting taken away seems to be just one more strike against Meredith in Derek’s eyes, but she doesn’t seem nearly as sad about losing Derek as she does about losing the baby.

When Chief Webber hands his trial over to Bailey and takes the fall for Meredith, the show takes a turn. But with the absence of any focus on emotions and the attempt of the show to focus on several characters instead of a few main ones, the show lacks the emotion and personal investment it usually instills in its viewers.

There seem to be many random parts to the show, with it not really focusing on anything. The plot was watered down and went in a million different directions.

Whereas in previous seasons, the doctors stay busy, going from case to case, they seemed to have too much spare time and not enough patients. With no real relationships or patients, the show lacks its usual adrenaline rush.

Think differently? Give us your thoughts in the comments section below.