Siblings unite for rare ‘Duo’ concert

Viola player Caroline Coade said performing with her sister is “99 percent fun.” The other one percent is traditional sibling rivalry.

Coade and her sister, Nancy Eldridge, who plays the violin, will be performing as guest artists in the Bryan Recital Hall of the Moore Musical Arts at 8 p.m. today. The recital will include the sisters exploring classic repertoire as well as more modern pieces.

“There’s a chemistry you don’t find in other performers,” Coade said about playing with Eldridge.

The sisters don’t get to perform with each other too often. It’s hard to schedule shows together with their professional and married lives, Coade said. This show is a part of a Midwest tour, with shows also at Hillsdale College and Wayne State University.

“Caroline and I have been performing together for most of our lives but now live in different parts of the country,” Eldridge said. “Caroline and I, as sisters, have many similar ideas as to how to play a musical phrase … we have a similar technique from years of having the same music teachers growing up. That makes for an easier time when we prepare for a concert together,”

Coade was contacted a year ago by Megan Fergusson, an assistant professor of viola and former student of Coade’s workshop that she taught here at the University.

“We are fortunate to be able to host such a dynamic duo,” Fergusson said. “They are two young, talented and vibrant musicians at the height of their careers.”

They will also premiere “Duo,” a new piece by Ann Arbor composer Braxton Blake, who will also be in the audience. Coade has been working with Blake on learning his piece. Coade said they are “active e-mailers.”

Coade said the experience of working with Blake has been a little nerve-wracking.

“He has in his imagination what he wants this to sound like,” Coade said. “It’s thrilling to see his work come to life. It’s pretty phenomenal to be playing a living composer’s piece.”

Coade and Elderidge, along with their older sister, started learning their instruments when they were young at the Suzuki Violin Program in San Diego, Calif.

Coade lives in Michigan and Elderidge in California, so practicing together was a little difficult. Elderidge began recording herself playing violin on YouTube anoade used the videos to practice.

“We’re a duo but we spend a lot of time apart,” Coade said.

Elderidge said the concert even though the sisters spend a lot of time apart, she has a lot of confidence.

“Much of the time, after a lot of practicing alone on our parts, the music happens quite intuitively,” Elderidge.

After the performance, Coade will teach a workshop Tuesday on campus. More information on the workshop will be presented at the recital. Students will be able to get to know Coade and Elderidge while they perform, and then share knowledge with them at the workshop, Coade said.