Womens track prepares for start of outdoor season

The Bowling Green womens track and field team is coming off a strong showing at the Mid-American Conference Indoor championships. The team’s 39 points were the most points scored at the meet since 2011. The outdoor track and field season will start Friday with the Raleigh Relays in Raleigh, North Carolina.

Freshman Jade Nolan will look to build on momentum of the indoor season, where she was named MAC’s Freshman Field Performer of the Year after the two-day championships. Nolan performed well in the triple jump and high jump. She also placed fifth in the triple with a jump of 39 feet 5.75 inches. She finished 12th in the high jump with a best jump of 18-7.25.

A strong section for the overall team is throwing. Juniors Kori Reiser and Kayla Velasquez scored the first six points at the MAC Indoor Track and Field Championships in the 20-pound weight throw. Resier finished in seventh place with a best throw of 57 feet 5 inches. Velasquez placed fifth in the event with a best throw of 58-5.

Junior Makenzie Wheat and sophomore Aliyah Gustafson qualified and performed well in the shot put at the indoor championships, placing fifth and sixth, respectively. Gustafson had a best throw of 50 feet 7.25 inches. Wheat had a best throw of 49 feet 3 inches. Allie Farmer had a shot put of 52 feet 9.5 inches and a 13th place finish.

Triple jump is a strong event for the team, as senior Tiera Parker placed fourth. Parker completed a jump of 39 feet 6 inches. Parker, a senior, also participates in jumps, relays, and sprints. Last season, she competed in the triple jump, 100 and 400 meter hurdles.

Kyla Paster finished eighth in the triple jump at the MAC Championships. Paster had a best jump of 38 feet 4 inches. Last season, she qualified for the MAC Championships in triple jump placing 10th at the event.

Junior Raven Porter had a strong third place finish of 5-85 in the high jump. In the 2015 season, Porter qualified for the outdoor MAC Championship in the long jump and high jump.

Senior Alicia Arnold placed fifth in the 60-meter race with a time of 7.56 seconds. Arnold placed fourth in the 200-meter race with running time of 24.24 seconds.

Gabrielle Edwards, Kera Lamotte, Cheyenne Oswald and Taylor Rambo sparked a good performance in the 1600-relay at the MAC Championships. The team finished in eighth place.

The Raleigh Relays are the first outdoor events for the womens track team. This is the first time athletes will be able to show improvement and build on the production of the indoor season.