Kingston resigns as BG Athletics Director

Bowling Green Director of Athletics Chris Kingston resigned early Monday after accepting an offer to become the Vice President of Learfield Sports, a sports media and marketing conglomerate. Kingston, who has held his position since June 2013, released a letter to the University community, informing it of his resignation.

“Bowling Green State University is truly a special place,” Kingston said. “This is one of the most innovative and transformational times in Falcon history.”

Kingston joined the Falcon community after serving as the executive senior associate director of athletics for the North Carolina State Wolfpack. He accepted the offer from BG following the resignation of previous athletic director Greg Christopher, who accepted a position at Xavier University after serving as a Falcon from 2006 to 2013.

“‘Onward and Upward’ are the three words that come to mind when I think about the incredible opportunity afforded to me by our President,” Kingston continued in his letter. “I will be forever grateful for being able to serve BGSU. Thank you President Mazey.”

University President Mary Ellen Mazey also released a statement in response to Kingston’s resignation.

“I greatly appreciate the energy and enthusiasm Chris brought to BGSU athletics,” Mazey said. “Under his leadership, our student-athletes found great success in the classroom and on our fields and courts. He will be missed.”

Kingston had numerous accomplishments during his few years at BGSU. One of the most significant, though, was his hiring of Dino Babers, who lead the Falcons to three consecutive Mid-American Conference Championship games. The team won two of those championship games, all of which were against Northern Illinois.

In his letter, Kingston noted that the football championships were some of his most memorable moments at BG.

Some other moments that he mentioned were: hearing Richaun Holmes’ name called in the 2015 NBA Draft, standing on the sideline at The Doyt as Roger Lewis caught a corner fade from James Knapke to defeat the Big 10’s Indiana Hoosiers and hosting student-athletes at his home with his family during the holidays as the athletes stayed in Bowling Green to practice and compete.

Kingston was the 13th athletic director at the University. The athletic department will now search for Kingston’s successor, as his term is set to officially come to a close on May 10.

“In addition to the top-notch Student-Athletes, Falcon Athletics is full of talented coaches and administrators,” Kingston said in closing. “It is my sincere hope that I have made some lasting contributions that others can continue to build on, in my absence.”