Predictions for the rest of the NBA season

The second half of the NBA season is set to start Thursday after an eventful and refreshing Toronto All-Star Weekend left the league’s fans with a yearning to see this star-packed season continue.

Between the awe-inducing slams of the Dunk Contest and the offensive onslaught in the All-Star Game, the NBA’s best players showed us not only why they were chosen to be there, but also what else they have in store.

Not only do the players have more for us, but the teams appear to as well. So, let’s visit what might be upcoming in this highl-anticipated second half of the season.

Right now, Stephen Curry of the Golden State Warriors looks to be the heavy favorite to win his second consecutive MVP award. Houston’s James Harden and the Spurs’ Kawhi Leonard have shown to be keys to their team’s success, but Curry, the league’s leading scorer, has his Warriors looking at a possible record-setting season–mostly because of him. Bet on Curry to run away in the MVP voting and lead Golden State to the one seed in the West.

In the East, don’t expect the Cleveland Cavaliers to saunter into the one seed. The Toronto Raptors are only three games behind the Cavs for first place in the conference. Kyle Lowry and Demar Derozan have the Canada-based team looking as poised and as confident as ever. Keep an eye out for a close race to the finish, but the Cavs are likely to finish out on top. If Kyrie Irving completely heals and begins to get his full feel for the game back, Cleveland is almost a given to advance to the Finals out of the East.

While the Warriors have looked practically invincible at times this season, the West’s other top teams will provide a competitive, intense fight for the Western Conference’s bid to the Finals. The Oklahoma City Thunder should give the Warriors the biggest fits out of any team; Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook are the most dynamic duo in the league.

But while the Thunder might present the most difficult matchups for Curry’s Warriors, the Spurs and the Los Angeles Clippers will make their runs at the West’s title as well.

It will be a hard-fought battle, but the Warrior’s should be able to come out on top again in the West, presumably over San Antonio or the Clippers.

Lastly, we have the Finals. It looks to be a rematch of last year: Golden State vs. Cleveland. Revenge is on Cleveland’s side, but the Warriors have history to claim.

Who will come out on top?

Honestly, this one is a toss-up. Curry is the best player in the game right now, but Lebron James and his Cavaliers will give their biggest effort after last year’s banged-up team fell to the Warriors in six games. Andre Iguodala’s defense on James should be a huge headline to watch, as Iguodala’s efforts last season earned him the Finals MVP award. This series might come down to whoever has the ball last. Seriously.

Regardless of the outcome of the Finals, the second half of the season is sure to be an exciting one. As the Warriors look to break the ‘96 Chicago Bulls’ record of 72-10, which they are on track to do right now, we might even get to witness history.