Student starts home business #TriggaMeals

Falcon Media Staff
Meal from TriggaMeals

Set to graduate from the University next May, DeAnte Shivers has more on his plate than a communications degree.

Along with dealing of the pressures of graduating, Shivers mother, Sharon, passed away in March.

“After mom passed, things got real hard on my family, mentally and financially. It was hard, not having my mom around physically anymore,” he said.

Realizing he did not have that physical support, Shivers knew he had to find a way to make it through.

#TriggaMeals became just that.

Shivers owns and operates #TriggaMeals. Based on Twitter page @TriggaMeals, the business serves both everyday menu items and a daily special.

The everyday menu items include: chicken or steak fried rice; chicken or shrimp Alfredo; corn beef and Swiss or steak and cheese egg rolls; Triggawings; and a variety of sliders. The specials can be anything Shivers feels like making, though he will also take suggestions.

“People will drive down from Toledo to pick up a meal. I even had a couple people drive up from Columbus,”Shivers said. “I thought it would be successful, but I never thought it would be where it is now.”

#TriggaMeals is a relatively booming business but the idea started as a simple conversation between friends.

Shivers called a friend over one night for some homemade chicken fried rice. The friend suggested Shivers turn his cooking skills into a small business serving meals in BG.

Shivers was not convinced at first. It took two days for him to elicit the opinion of the internet.

Shivers sent out a tweet on his personal account on July 24.

“Would y’all support this?” read the tweet with an image description of the business and adding that it would be “a legit hustle.”

“I figured that I had nothing to lose, and everything to gain,” Shivers said.

He started with $47. He bought the necessities: chicken, steak, rice, plastic ware and plates.

July 26 was the official start date of his new business, and his menu was modest at best. Only offering chicken or steak fried rice.

Shivers recalled starting at 1 p.m. and received non-stop calls till 11 p.m. By night’s end over 20 customers were served.

Shivers credits the success to the positive reviews posted on Twitter.

“Customer satisfaction is my biggest concern. Without the customers, #TriggaMeals would not be where it is today,” Shivers said.

Shivers takes his marketing seriously. He works for absolute honesty about the food he cooks for people.

“Just be honest with me, if it wasn’t up to liking, let me know. I don’t want to continue to do the same thing if it does not work,” he said.

Of all the things that fight against Shivers, time is by far the strongest opponent.

There are days when he is working on three simultaneous orders with 10 more being called in. He tells the customers that he is the only one working, so it could take some time before the food is ready. Some days he just closes.

The real concerns are his academic workload and the promise he made to his mother.

“I am a student first. No matter how good business is, I am still a student,” he said.

At the end of his first business day Shivers picked up the phone and dialed his mother out of a mixture of habit and excitement. It did not take long for reality to set back in. He hung up and dialed his dad instead.

When it all seems overwhelming Shivers thinks of his mother. What would she do? How would she handle the workload?

Sometimes it is enough just to remember his mother’s words: “It’s gonna be okay.”

Shivers talks about his mom as though she “is,” not “was,” and follows her life values

He held a raffle to benefit the family of a friend that passed in July. Four people won meals for a day, while the grand prize winner received meals for a week.

“I wanted to do my part because I know if the shoe was on the other foot, my friend would do the same for me,” he said.

Shivers wants to honor his mother with his business.

“At the end of the day, in the future, I want #TriggaMeals to turn into Sharon’s Kitchen,” he said.

Shivers is in the process of posting a menu on Twitter as well as having print copies made.

Ordering from #TriggaMeals happens through two channels. Customers can either leave a direct message through Twitter, or call 567-213-9484.

Food is deliverable to campus, but the business is not limited to campus students.