Falcon Swing Society offers social dancing

Many may have seen this high-energy dance in passing or on television. Many may have heard of its popularity in the Roaring Twenties. Swing dance was the dance that broke the rules. It was free and loose. 

In 2010, Jeff Klein came to the University and noticed that it did not have a swing society. After swing dancing for years and participating in many community and university swing societies, Klein decided to start his own swing society on campus. The Falcon Swing Society (FSS) is open to community members and students.

Eva Sullivan, president of the Falcon Swing Society, began dancing when she was three at Toledo Ballet. After graduating high school, Eva wanted to continue dancing, but also wanted to try something new. She tried swing dancing and loved it. 

“Swing dance is a social dance, so every dance you do is not alike. You have to dance with someone new every time, but it is a good way to meet new people,” Sullivan said. “You get to meet a lot of really creative and amazing people.” 

Sullivan said she hopes to continue dancing after graduation.

“I’m hoping to move down to Columbus, and Columbus has a good swing society,” she said.

Sullivan describes the FSS as “a good stress relief.” 

“I always look forward to going just to turn my mind off and dance to the music with some good friends,” she said.

Other members also spoke highly of the club. 

Emma Dickson, Vice President of the FSS, began dancing last year. Although she had never danced before, she wanted to try it. A friend of hers in band suggested FSS and Dickson loved it. She also wants to continue dancing post graduation. 

“I’ve actually been teaching this semester, so one year literally since I’ve started dancing I have been teaching lessons, so I am definitely going to be doing this for the rest of my life,” Dickson said.

Elijah Timothy and Mary Joanna are sophomores who have only been swing dancing for one year. Joanna decided to join the swing society because she wanted to dance in college and the FSS appealed the most to her. Both members plan on dancing post-graduation as well. 

Kevin Vavrinek, who has graduated, has been dancing “since the scene started, so six years.” 

“I’ve always wanted to do a dance, I just wanted one that didn’t have a lot of structure to it, and this is a very solid dance because it’s very laid-back, it’s very easy going. You can make it up on the fly but at the same time it’s got that base structure so you always know what to do,” Vavrinek said.

Meetings are every Tuesday from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. The membership fee is only $10 a semester. That $10 goes towards the trips and events that FSS holds. 

In the spring FSS holds an event of its own. It is presently trying to work with the BG Student Jazz Band for live music. FSS also holds “Spaghetti Dinners.” 

These dinners are fundraisers filled with dancing and food for members and non-members. Typically, members are asked to donate $5 at Spaghetti Dinners while non-members are asked to donate $10. 

In mid-October, the swing society plans on going to a swing dance exchange, Time Warp. There, instructors host Lindy Hop (a style of swing) workshops, evening and late night dances occur and two Jack and Jill competitions – partner dance competitions – commence. Time Warp is three days long and the Falcon Swing Society is applying for Student Budget Committee funding to pay for the trip.