Falcon Fanatics supports student athletes

Falcon Fanatics currently has over 800 members and has been growing consistently over the past five years. They are building the student section, supporting student athletes and sponsoring giveaways on campus. 

Falcon Fanatics is a group that wants to make campus life more exciting and enjoyable for students. They work to get students to attend the events of all 18 sports on campus, because they know that once a student has attended one game in the student section, they will enjoy themselves enough to come back. 

“One of our main priorities is just to support our student athletes,” member Tyler Kemp said. “They are just like us, but better at sports.”

President of Falcon Fanatics Courtney Griffith said that she has made the group very active on social media, especially on the class of 2020 Facebook page. The group is also active on Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat. She is excited that there are so many freshman members this year, because getting involved as a freshman sets students up for a successful four years at the University. 

Griffith said that there are a lot of returning students this year, which indicates to her that the group has been successful in previous years. 

Member Thomas Morone said, “We really want to make it a goal to fill the Stroh Center for basketball this year.”

To get involved in Falcon Fanatics there is a membership fee of $10. Members receive all kinds of incentives for being a part of Falcon Fanatics. There are giveaways for sideline passes, gift cards and Nike gear as well. Also upon joining, members receive a Falcon Fanatics t-shirt, as well as concession vouchers for sporting events. 

The Falcon Fanatics gave away two pairs of tickets to the BG vs. OSU game that happened last weekend. 

Griffith said the main advantages of being a member are the exclusive events that are available to attend. There are open practices, and some students are able to have lunch with a coach. She also said Falcon Fanatics get to help protect the BG Rock during UT week, and as a member students really get to delve further into the BG experience.

Most of the membership sales have been moved online with the help of the BGSU Ticket Office, and there are also promotions online where students buy their season tickets, which Griffith thinks helped to build the membership of Falcon Fanatics. 

She said it is also very important for them to be talking to students at the sporting events. Griffith said that while Falcon Fanatics are going to be loud and cheer on the athletes at games, it is also important to connect with the students who took time out of their schedules to watch and support the teams. 

She said that when people start to form those personal connections in the student section, that is when the games get really fun to attend. 

Falcon Fanatics attendance depends on which sport and game is happening. Griffith said that most football and hockey games have several hundred members. More active members receive more benefits from the Falcon Fanatics.

“It’s fun to see our members start to build relationships with our leadership and the student athletes, because then they come to more games,” Griffith said. “It’s really a win-win for everyone.”

Falcon Fanatics also make it a point to support the athletes of sports that don’t regularly draw in a large crowd, such as gymnastics and swimming. 

“We try to show our members that these sports are just as interesting to watch, and fun to attend as the marquee sports,” Griffith said. “The athletes genuinely appreciate the support.”