Sorority seeks to build numbers

Delta Xi Phi sisters show their spirit for their multicultural organization.

Delta Xi Phi, one of three multi-cultural sororities on campus, held their fall recruitment week and used #StopHate as the theme.

Currently the sorority only has one active sister who is the president, Maritza Castro. Alumni sisters, as well as sisters at large, are helping Castro to keep the chapter running and recruit new sisters.

Delta Xi Phi has been at the University since 2011 and is a traditionally small sorority. Castro said that it is her goal to have six sisters join her this semester. 

They always have a theme for their recruitment week, and they chose #StopHate this year because of recent media attention to racism in society. 

Delta Xi Phi has hosted several events to help engage potential sisters into the discussion about racism issues. On Sept. 7 they held an open discussion called, “My Life Matters,” which encouraged people to speak their minds about racial tensions that are happening today.

“It went even better than we had expected,” alumni sister, Suhaylah Hamzan said. 

She said that the discussion at the event opened up and incorporated topics that they didn’t expect. 

On Sept. 11 the sorority made cards and collected toys and crayons for children’s organizations during an even called “Save the Babies,”. On Sept. 13 they had a “Get up and Go,” event on the steps of the Education building to help engage sisters in staying healthy and active, and on Sept. 14 they had an open discussion for women called “No Filters” which encouraged woman to discuss their struggles. 

Hamzan said that they decided to host the “No Filters” discussion because they wanted woman to see that they all struggle with the same issues and insecurities, but that isn’t what defines anyone. 

“Those struggles may be what other people see you as, but what you see yourself as is what matters,” Hamzan said. 

Delta Xi Phi sister at large Grainisha Pierce said that they have received some negative feedback on social media while promoting their #StopHate campaign. 

She said that the negative feedback doesn’t have the sorority upset, because they have at least started a conversation. 

“Even if they are saying something hateful, they still had to take time to think about it,” Pierce said. 

They said that they have been and will continue to promote their sorority through social media, campus updates, and emails. 

Castro said that they are simply looking for woman who want to see change and create a positive multicultural environment. 

Piece said that so many of the world’s problems could be solved if people weren’t so ignorant to other cultures. 

She said that Delta Xi Phi has opened her eyes and changed the way that she thinks about the world. 

“They just want to embrace the things that make you great,” she said. 

Castro also said that the sorority has made her realize things that she hadn’t before and overall, she is overwhelmed by all the support she has, and continues to receive from Delta Xi Phi.

“They showed me something different and in that I grew as a person,” Castro said. “All of our differences is what makes me love them all more.”