Women, glass ceiling and dignity in football

Last Wednesday, the Buffalo Bills announced that Kathryn Smith, 30, has been promoted to Quality Control-Special Teams coach. This advancement makes her the first ever full-time female coach in the NFL. Smith began her career as the New York Jet’s game-day and special events intern. Shortly after, she accepted a college scouting internship for two seasons, and later worked as a player personnel assistant in 2007. After over 10 years with the team, Smith followed then-Jets Coach, Rex Ryan, to Buffalo.

On the Bills’ƒ website, Kathryn stated, “I might be the first, but I think very quickly there are going to be many other women in the league. … I don’t think I’ll be the only one for very long.” In fact, she’s not entirely alone in the realm of female coaches at the professional level of a male-dominated sport. In August 2014, the San Antonio Spurs named former WNBA player Becky Hammon the first full-time female assistant coach in NBA history. Nancy Lieberman of the Sacramento Kings claims the same title.

Narrowing our focus back to the NFL, the Arizona Cardinals hired Jen Welter as an assistant coaching intern for training camp in July of 2015.

In the NFL, there have been female owners, executives, administrators and scouts, but Smith’s path is unlike anything we’ve ever seen.

Her job description includes: working alongside the Special Teams coordinator and assistant to diagram plays, scout the blocking stratagem of opposing teams, analyze kicker and punter tendencies, break down film and help the Bills’ prepare for their opponent’s offensive tactics overall.

Smith succeeds Michael Hamlin, former NFL safety, so being an NFL veteran isn’t a requirement for the coaching position [much like having a Y chromosome]. For anybody who loves, supportsƒ and respects women, this is huge.

Unfortunately, Smith has encountered a slew of misogynistic retorts from disbelieving Neanderthals.

Cleveland-based radio show host, Kevin Kiley of the Kiley and Carman Show, called Smith’s promotion “absurd.” Furthermore, “she couldn’t possibly be qualified to the same level that a man could be qualified to. There’s no place for a woman in professional sports, in football coaching men,” he stated.

But while we’re on the topic of misogyny, what about the Buffalo Jills? If Kathryn Smith’s promotion is indicative of the Bills’ enlightenment and the shattering of a glass ceiling, what can be said for the treatment of the team’s cheerleading squad? The cheerleaders have recently filed a lawsuit against the team and, just this month, a New York state judge has allowed for the litigation to proceed. Given the fact that the women make no more than $1,800 a season, I hope their case is successful.

The Bills consider the cheerleaders to be “independent contractors,” meaning the team has dodged minimum wage requirements. The cheerleaders are also required to attend unpaid events, as well. All the while the Buffalo Bills make hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue per year.

Adding to the list of transgressions, the 2013-14 Buffalo Jills’ Handbook dictates what the women should eat and say, and how they should style their hair and makeup. One section, called “General hygiene and lady body maintenance,” even goes as far as soliciting advice on how frequently women should change their menstrual sanitary products, according to a report from This American Life.

Quite frankly, I find the advancement of this lawsuit to be equally as monumental as Smith’s promotion.

Whether working with the Bills on the coaching staff or fighting against the Bills in the court room, both Kathryn Smith and the Jills’ cheerleading squad are fighting the progressive battle for equality and respect.

Speaking on Smith’s behalf, head coach Rex Ryan, says she “deserves this promotion based on her knowledge and strong commitment, and I just know she’s going to do a great job.” Perhaps Kevin Kiley’s eyes (and the eyes of those who so desperately wish to help us with our own “lady body maintenance”) will be opened to the incredible talent and brilliance of women like Kathryn Smith.

Respond to Deanna at