Defending Champs Warriors overwhelming Cavs, NBA finals

“We were better than the showtime Lakers,” Golden State shooting guard Klay Thompson kiddingly said following the Warriors’ 110-77 win over the Cleveland Cavaliers in Game Two of the NBA Finals Sunday. 

The comparison to the showtime Lakers is definitely a stretch, but the Western Conference champions are looking more and more like a team for the ages after two dominating wins on their home court to open the NBA Finals. 

After leading a historic regular season in which the Warriors set the record for most wins with 73, MVP Stephen Curry and his “Splash Bro” Thompson have turned to their teammates in the Finals. With the Cavs’ defense focused so much on the three-pointers of Curry and Thompson, opportunities are bountiful for the other Warriors. 

In Game One, backup point guard Shaun Livingston led Golden State with 20 points. Curry and Thompson had a combined 20 points. 

Game Two was the Draymond Green show. He tallied 28 points, seven rebounds and five assists. 

“That’s why we’re in this position,” Curry said following Sunday’s game. “Every night, everybody has an impact.”

While Curry only scored 18 points in Game Two, his impact was seen all over the game, mostly through his ability to provide opportunities for his teammates. Golden State was +25 when Curry was simply on the court, and the Warriors’ bench tallied 40 points in the game.

On the other side of the court, Golden State’s defense has abruptly halted what was just a couple weeks ago a seemingly unstoppable offense. The Cavaliers set the record for most three pointers in a playoff game this postseason on two different occasions. Cleveland conquered its conference foes fairly easily en route to the Finals. 

Now, two games into the 2016 NBA Finals, the Cavs are averaging a mere 83 points per game in comparison to Golden State’s 107. Lebron James is averaging 5.5 turnovers per game and his team has only posted an average of 16 assists in each contest.

Credit the Warriors’ defense and, specifically, Andre Iguodala, who has taken on the task of guarding Lebron in the Finals for the second consecutive year, for this stifling of a potent Cavaliers’ offense.

“We have to be better at all facets of the game,” James said after Game Two, emphasizing the Warriors’ dominance.

With the series now heading back to Cleveland, here are a few things to keep in mind. It is evident that a drastic change in mindset for the Cavaliers is needed for any chance at taking down the defending champions. The Cavs have appeared timid and sometimes unfocused in the first two games of the Finals. Golden State has and will continue to capitalize on lapses such as those by Cleveland.

Also, a Curry explosion is imminent. The back-to-back MVP has distributed to and let his teammates make the plays as he has been double-teamed on almost every possession in the first two games of the series. If the Cavs adjust their defensive plan to try to limit the other Warriors who have exploded for big games, expect an offensive barrage by Curry, one that could, in only a few minutes, completely knock out the Cavaliers’ hope for a championship.

Lastly, these Finals are meant to be enjoyed. While it might sting for a Cavs’ fan to admit, what the Warriors are doing is truly history before our eyes. A second consecutive NBA Championship would be the storybook ending to Golden State’s incredible season.

And right now, it’s certainly looking like that’s going to happen.