Falcons have large task on their hands

When the Bowling Green women’s basketball team steps on the court at Bank of America Arena tomorrow they will have to deal with the most talented player they’ve seen all year in Kansas State forward Kendra Wecker.

Wecker has done it all in college basketball.

She was named Big 12 Player of the Year last week, was a third team All-American last year and three seasons ago was named National Freshman of the Year by Womenscollegehoops.com.

“I was watching her on film and she’s like a guard playing a forward spot,” BG forward Liz Honegger said. “I think she’ll be a tough match up.”

And probably better than any player the Falcons have seen all year.

“I can’t compare her with anybody [in the post],” Honegger said.

That is because Wecker brings everything to the table.

She hits her teammates (2.7 assists per game), she hits the passing lanes (1.6 steals per game), she hits the glass (10.1 rebounds per game) and she hits her shots (20.6 points per game hitting 41.3 percent from downtown).

Her running mate, Laurie Koehn, is every bit as dangerous.

“She is probably the best three-point shooter in the country,” BG coach Curt Miller said.

Koehn has hit a Kansas State record 383 shots from downtown in her career. This season, she has hit 40.1 percent from three and figures to give the Falcons fits.

Seniors Brie Madden, Chelsea Dominico and Megan Mahoney have helped turn Kansas State into a national powerhouse during their time in Manhattan.

“This is the group that helped put the program on the map,” Miller said. “Now Kansas State is a household name in women’s basketball.”

The Falcons, one of the best scoring teams in the Mid-American Conference, will have to keep up with the Wildcats, who come into tomorrow’s game averaging 71.8 points per game while beating their opponents by an average of 15.7 points per contest.

“We have to slow them down and get them out of their rhythm if we want to pull off the upset,” Miller said. “And we have to have a good offensive night because Kansas State will score points.”

The problems on the court are only the beginning for the Falcons. Miller is concerned that media day, which he likened to the equivalent of the Super Bowl media day for women’s basketball, will be a surprise for the team. For Kansas State, it is going to be just another day at the office.

“They know the routine,” Miller said. “We are going to be wide-eyed and they are just going to settle into the routine better.”

The Falcons will have to make some adjustments on and off the court if they hope to pull of an upset against Kansas State tomorrow.

Tip-off is slated for 8 p.m. EST and will be shown on ESPN2.