Falcons ready to hit dance floor in Seattle

The roller coaster ride isn’t over yet for the Bowling Green women’s basketball team.

A week after securing their first Mid-American Conference title and taking home arguably their biggest win since 1994, the Falcons get to take another step up in the college basketball world when they take on Kansas State in the NCAA tournament.

The Falcons, a No. 1 seed in the MAC tournament last week, move to the No. 13 seed in the Kansas City Regional.

“To go back to the role as an underdog,” BG head coach Curt Miller said, “gives us the ability to relax and play out game.”

The role of underdog is one BG enjoys. Throughout the season, Miller has talked about his team being blue collar while at the same time displaying confidence. That confidence has come from not only winning big games, but also experiencing even bigger games.

BG started the season off in the preseason WNIT against then No. 9 Ohio State, and weeks later went out to New Mexico to play at “The Pit.” While the games don’t make them experts at prime time playing, it does give them a feel for what the NCAA tournament might bring.

The Falcons weren’t able to win in either game, but the experience is what counted.

Against Ohio State, the Falcons were beaten 89-41 against a Buckeyes team that earned a No. 2 seed Sunday.

“Those experiences will help us,” Miller said. “It doesn’t sound like much, but we played a heck of a first seven or eight minutes against Ohio State and that was with two freshman starters.”

Playing a team like Ohio State lets the Falcons know they won’t see anything new talentwise. The Buckeyes’ duo of center Jessica Davenport and three-point ace Caity Matter are every bit as talented as Kansas State’s one-two punch of forward Kendra Wecker and guard Laurie Koehn.

“With Ohio State you had the Big Ten Player of the Year [Davenport] and one of the best shooters in the country,” BG guard Casey McDowell said. “That’s what we will go against in Kansas State.”

While the Ohio State game readied the Falcons for the talent they will face in the NCAA tournament, the game against New Mexico more than prepared them for the atmosphere. The Falcons played in front of a BG record 9,212 fans in one of the most hostile environments in women’s basketball.

“Playing in ‘The Pit’ was crazy,” McDowell said. “But that just gives us more confidence.”

Even with the confidence, the numbers are against the Falcons. This is their first trip to the NCAA tournament in 11 years while Kansas State is making their fourth straight appearance. BG didn’t have one player on the MAC’s all-conference team while the Wildcats boast the Big 12 Player of the Year in Wecker.

Even so, the Falcons aren’t letting the odds bother them.

“We actually kind of like being underdogs,” McDowell said. “No one is expecting us to win.”

“If we win, that’s great — we’ll move on and play the winner of Vanderbilt and Montana. If not, it’s still something we’ll remember for the rest of our lives.”

The Falcons are hoping that being underdogs will put all the pressure on Kansas State.

“If we hang in there and have a shot at halftime all the pressure is going to be on them,” Miller said.

And that is the advantage of being an underdog.